Ascend WV Program Coordinator - Eastern Panhandle (Hybrid)
TheBrad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborativeis currently accepting applications for an Ascend WV Program Coordinator for the Eastern Panhandle.
About the Opportunity
The Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative (OEDC) seeks to leverage West Virginia's outdoor recreation assets to stimulate and improve economic opportunities throughout the state and recognizes the need for a diverse team working in an inclusive environment to fully realize its mission. The Program Coordinator of the Ascend WV program functions as a member of the OEDC Ascend WV program team. Together, this team is responsible for implementing the Ascend WV program in the Eastern Panhandle and ensuring its long-term sustainability. Under the direction of the Director, the Program Coordinator has specific oversight and responsibility for the programmatic aspects of the Ascend WV program in the Eastern Panhandle. The incumbent shares in the planning, implementation, and management of high-quality programming to support Ascend WV program participants through their transition into the community. The employee supports outreach efforts with the community to inform, educate, and engage community members and leaders about the program and develop a robust ecosystem of support for program participants. This position requires a high degree of collaboration with other campus units and community partners. This position requires working evenings and weekends as programs demand. This position supports WV's outdoor economy and those with experience working in and promoting outdoor recreation are strongly encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate possesses knowledge of, and experience with, outdoor recreation in West Virginia and has strong passion for the outdoors.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range ofhealth insurance and various other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
What You'll Do
Cohort Community Building
- This position serves as the primary coordinator for the development of innovative programming that fosters a sense of community, team building, and professional collaboration, while creating a connection to the community and the state. This includes professional development opportunities, socials, trips and outings, community and civic engagement opportunities, social networking, and community-building initiatives for Ascend WV program participants.
- Assist with the development and leads the implementation of networking opportunities that foster connections between program participants and members of the community.
- Assist in planning, implementing, and leading a "Country Roads" welcome event for incoming cohorts.
- Plan and implementation of virtual (online) and in-person social networking opportunities.
- Develop, implement, manage, and evaluate local cohort social events and outings.
- Manages all processes associated with Ascend WV program outings and events including risk management, budget, marketing, feedback, logistics, and other processes as needed. Coordinates with the Director and other OEDC staff members as necessary to ensure processes are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Assist in developing and implementing a system for ongoing check-ins with Ascend program participants.
- Be available to meet with remote program participants monthly to disperse program stipends.
Program Management and Development
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Ascend WV program in the Eastern Panhandle by researching and implementing best practices, creating innovative ideas, and evaluating the success of the program with long- and short-term metrics.
- Assist with the establishment of policies and procedures for the Ascend WV program to include participant selection and program management.
- Assist in building new and enhance existing relationships with key partners that support and enhance the implementation of the Ascend WV program.
- Workwith the Director to set annual goals for the Ascend WV program and ensures these goals are being met.
- Create detailed reports around the metrics gathered from program activities.
- Assist in engaging local stakeholders (residents, civic leaders, business owners, residents, etc.) in the planning and implementation of the Ascend WV program.
- Assist in developing partnerships with local businesses and organizations (housing, restaurants and pubs, non-profits, etc) to support the implementation of the Ascend WV program.
- Develop opportunities for remote program participants to engage with local events, leadership, and service.
- Assist with the planning, set-up, success, and operation of a coworking facility including an outdoor equipment loan program.
- Supervise the daily operations of the coworking space.
- Responsible for the build-out (inventory, check-out processes, maintenance plan) and management of an outdoor equipment loan program for remote program participants.
Staff Supervision Functions
- Partner with the Director on the hiring and supervision of AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers and student workers.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are in place that support and supervise staff to successfully implement the Ascend WV program.
- Under the direction of the Director, this position will develop projection budgets for primary areas of coordination (outings and social events, outdoor equipment loan program, coworking space), based on the overall program budget and anticipated expenditures. This position will be responsible for tracking expenditures and creating yearly budgets, along with updating projections based on emerging information.
- Ensureprograms are running in the black, while simultaneously keeping program costs as low as possible.
- Identify areas of cost savings and diverts funds back into the program where possible.
Additional Functions and Expectations
- The above duties will need to be completed with a focus and interest on community, the outdoors, outdoor programs, outdoor recreation, and outdoor lifestyle.
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as needed, assigned, and required.
- Knowledge about outdoor recreation opportunities in West Virginia, with a specific focus on the the Eastern Panhandle region.
- Ability to work with outside constituents.
- Ability and willingness to represent the Ascend WV program at public events and presentations.
- Bachelor's degree is required in communications, public relations, recreation, public administration, business, community development, or a related field.
- Master's in related field preferred.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience involving:
- Oversight and development of programs that foster a sense of community.
- Experience in organizational and personal leadership.
- Experience with outdoor activities (experience with WV activities is preferred).
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including composition, grammar, punctuation and proofreading.
- Ability to develop programs in recreation, continuing education, professional development, etc.
- Demonstrated skills in team building and networking.
- Skilled in communicating complex ideas to a variety of constituencies.
- Knowledge of outdoor recreational activities and offerings within the state of West Virginia.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including large group presentations.
- Ability to work autonomously, with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team.
- Knowledge and experience in developing and leading outdoor recreation programs, trips, and activities.
- Skills in two or more of the following activity areas: climbing, paddle sports, skiing, cycling, backpacking, and/or fishing.
- Experience with facility operations, budgets, and program reporting.
- Wilderness First Aid or ability to obtain in 6 months of hiring (costs covered by the department).
- Valid driver's license.
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 15, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes