Sports Dietitian - Football
The department of Athletics at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Sport Dietitian for WVU Football.
About the Opportunity
Primary responsibilities include assisting the Director of Sports Nutrition in providing nutrition care to the WVU football team. Additional responsibilities include individual nutrition counseling; team education; assisting in oversite of nutrition internship program; serving as a food and nutrition resource for coaches, athletic trainers, and sports performance staff; and maintaining professional competency and skills required for professional practice.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Assist with football pre, during, and post practice fueling including travel and competition.
- Assist at Training Table with meals- planning and monitoring.
- Assist with Football team presentations.
- Assist in delivery and distribution of nutrition products.
- Assist in management of fueling stations and product management (receiving, storing, and tracking).
- Assist in developing monthly educational material (table topper, flyers, etc.) and social media.
- Assist in management of student volunteers and interns.
- Assist in developing policies and processes and ensuring quality and consistency in clinical, food service and education programming through training.
- Counsel athletes on optimal nutrition and recovery from illness or injury.
- Provide personalized fueling plans to promote short term and long-term goals.
- Coordinate nutrition for team travel (catering, hotels, airlines and competition).
Expectations and Skills
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Participate in the shared responsibility in maintaining the academic integrity essential for the University to accomplish its mission; adhere to the University's policies and guidelines regarding academic integrity and dishonesty.
- Exhibit a level of expertise in their professional field; must also treat the academic requirements necessary for progress toward a degree as a matter of the highest priority for the student-athletes in their charge and must actively encourage them to succeed academically and graduate.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and quickly adapt to changes while maintaining high levels of productivity and effectiveness under pressure.
- Ability to work well within a team environment, offering assistance and support to team members whenever necessary.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and constituencies; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to be handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work and on-call availability.
- Must be willing to work unconventional hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Bachelors in Nutrition and Dietetics and Masters in related field preferred.
- At least one (1) year working as a dietitian in a professional, collegiate, or comparable setting working directly with elite level athletes.
- Graduate assistant experience is acceptable.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Ability to make administrative / procedural decisions and judgments.
- Knowledge of food service quality and safety procedures.
- Ability to accurately measure height and body weight.
- Ability to accurately assess body composition (body mass, body fat and muscle mass).
- Knowledge of measurements of resting metabolic rate, energy expenditure, VO2max and lactate threshold.
- Ability to accurately assess and evaluate energy balance.
- Knowledge of eating disorder/disordered eating signs and symptoms.
- Knowledge of complementary medicine, ergogenic aids and nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements.
- Compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- Valid driver's license.
- Registered Dietitian.
- Certification/license as required by state.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 15, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes