Visiting Assistant Professor of Engineering Physics
Job Type: Full time
Job Number: R1717
Location: LakelandVisiting Assistant Professor of Engineering Physics Job Description Summary
The Department of Engineering Physics at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for a visiting assistant professor position beginning August 2022. We are looking for candidates with a proven teaching record in foundation Physics courses.
The position requires individuals to teach undergraduate courses, particularly calculus-based Physics 1 and Physics 2 with laboratory. Job Description
- Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Science, Engineering, or other closely related fields.
- Credentials by degree and/or experience to support the delivery of foundation courses in Physics.
- Previous teaching experience.
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Qualified experience teaching and working with students.
- Candidates should have a strong commitment to teaching excellence.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with the diverse campus community.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as a STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and has intentional industry connections with a focus on the economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem-solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student-to-faculty experience, and is dedicated to its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term-defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University's ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small-town comfort with big-city culture. Florida's High-Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities, and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment canceled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website:
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least three professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
Florida Poly Benefits Information
Florida Poly qualified employees have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of health benefits (through the State of Florida) to help meet their specific needs, as well as the needs of their family. This comprehensive coverage includes flexible spending accounts, medical and life insurance, and workers compensation.
* Health benefits are administered through People First, on behalf of the State of Florida, as pre-tax insurance plans. People First handles all new hire enrollments, coverage changes, premium administration, and dependent eligibility.
* Their Service Center is staffed Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. EST, at 1-866-663-4735.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.