Literacy Specialist, Afterschool Enrichment Program
REPORTS TO: DEAN OF THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES
STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, SALARIED, TWO-YEAR GRANT-FUNDED
Lake Erie College, a small, co-educational, four-year, independent liberal arts college located in Painesville, OH, 30 miles east of Cleveland, invites applications for the full-time, two-year, grant-funded position of Literacy Specialist, Afterschool Enrichment Program. The Afterschool Enrichment Program, implemented by Lake Erie College’s School of Education in partnership with Painesville City Local Schools, serves Painesville City Local Schools students in Kindergarten through 6th grade. The purpose of the program is to support student learning and increase access to additional academic and youth development activities.
- Creates and implements the tutoring program schedule.
- Assesses student reading abilities and creates learning plans based on assessment outcomes.
- Administers the CREVT-3 Comprehensive Receptive and Expressive Vocabulary Test three times per academic year.
- Administers screening tools for reading, as needed, to support student growth and learning plans.
- Promotes and manages the Million Word Reading Challenge for all program participants.
- Supports the Saturday Story Hour sessions (40 session) by providing the parent education portion each Saturday.
- Collaborates with the program director to ensure activities are meeting or exceeding grant compliance.
- Communicates any needs to the program director.
- Submits weekly schedule to the program director.
- Trains college tutors to use literacy assessment tools and tutoring protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the director, Afternoon Enrichment Program.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in education, literacy or reading preferred.
- Five years’ classroom teaching experience.
- Reading endorsement of reading specialist endorsement.
- Current or renewable teaching license required.
- Ability to work during non-traditional hours.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references either (1) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, (2) online at www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/ or (3) to Literacy Specialist, Afternoon Enrichment Program Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Learn more at https://www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/. EOE
As one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Ohio’s Western Reserve, Lake Erie College is proud of its long heritage. From its start as a female seminary, in the Mount Holyoke style, to the coeducational institution it is today, the College has been a leader in higher education for over 160 years. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees, the College fosters an environment of engagement, empowerment and self-evaluation in a diverse world, for both students and employees. We offer a rich menu of employee benefits in retirement, health, education, flex work and more, affirming the value we place in our employees.
Lake Erie College provides an excellent, inclusive, and highly personalized education grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Guided by hope and care, our students are empowered to lead lives of personal significance and professional success as global citizens.