Assistant Director of Alumni Relations
The College of Engineering seeks an experienced professional with a background in marketing, project management, communications, or related fields to join our team as an Assistant Director of Alumni Relations. Reporting to the Director of Alumni Relations, this position is an integral member of the college's Advancement team and will be primarily responsible for creating strategic broad-based engagement efforts for the college to engage alumni, donors, students, and friends as part of the university's overall engagement and institutional advancement goals and objectives.
Providing innovative engagement opportunities to the college's more than 70,000 alumni through strategic engagement and stewardship initiatives, is an integral and key aspect of this position. This position will work collaboratively on the successful development and execution of these opportunities for alumni, students, and potential students. The responsibilities include planning, promoting, executing, and evaluating alumni engagement programs, projects, and events for the college utilizing best practices.
In collaboration with the college's Advancement Communications Manager and Social Media Manager, the assistant director will strategize and implement targeted alumni communication efforts for the College of Engineering.
This individual is an important liaison between the college and University Advancement, departments, and external constituents and must be able to thrive in complex, collaborative environments.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, business, marketing, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience with project management or event planning/management.
- Proven commitment to a high level of customer service.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills, including the ability to handle confidential matters.
- Experience working within a team.
- Experience with a variety of computer software applications in calendar management, word processing and spreadsheets (such as MSWord, Excel, Power Point, and MS Outlook).
- Professional alumni relations or constituency engagement experience in higher education, independent education, or the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated experience with program development; preferably in the area of advancement, alumni relations and/or development.
- Experience with volunteer management, individual donor cultivation, and/or client relationship experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a multitude of diverse constituents, internal and external to an organization.
- Demonstrated problem solver with collaborative approach to project management within tight deadlines, employing a strong collaborative leadership style and team-building skills.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills, including the ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- Experience working within a CRM or other customer driven database
- Basic graphic design skills and brand management experience, as well as the ability to work within established brand guidelines.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and a safe driving record.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lee Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.