Director of the Chambers Elite Climbers Program - Football
The department of Athletics is currently accepting applications for a Director of the Chambers Elite Climbers Program for WVU Football.
About the Opportunity
This position willorganize and execute the operations of the Chambers Elite Climbers program for WVU Football, providing select student-athletes enhanced off-the-field education and development.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Supervise the Graduate Assistant for the Chambers Elite Climbers program.
- Work collaboratively with the WVU Football 5th Quarter leadership to execute programming for WVU Football student-athletes.
- Support educational programming for all five pillars of the 5th Quarter program, including Character Development, Leadership Development, Real Life, Social Responsibility, and Career Development.
- Regular presence at study hall, mandatory meals, and other WVU Football events and activities to enhance relationships with student-athletes.
- Work closely with the John Chambers College of Business & Economics leadership/liaison to ensure the Chambers Elite Climbers program is executed efficiently. Develop positive relationships with teaching faculty.
- Create metrics and a system to measure the impact and effectiveness of the Chambers Elite Climbers program. Create and write annual reports on the Chambers Elite Climbers program that can be disseminated to key stakeholders.
- Organize and participate in the 5th Quarter programming offered to Chambers Elite Climbers student-athletes, including Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Technology, Financial Education, and Communications.
- Establish an expert educational speaker series, working in partnership with the John Chambers College of Business & Economics and 5th Quarter leadership.
- Execute the humanitarian ventures, focusing on supporting needs of the communities here locally or throughout the state, through the time and talent of the student-athletes.
- Collaborate with appropriate university partners to execute a study abroad experience, with the goal to provide an experiential course that will allow WVU Football student-athletes to use the skills they developed in year one of programming.
- Secure internship opportunities for WVU Football student-athletes, where they will gain real world experience and enhance their marketability as they transition into the workforce. Develop relationships with WVU Career Service professionals, industry and alumni who can facilitate these opportunities.
- Prepare WVU Football student-athletes for their careers, focusing on leadership development.
- Organize cultural field trips to expand the total development of WVU Football student-athletes.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletics Director / Chief of Staff - Football.
- Report directly to the Senior Associate Athletics Director / Chief of Staff - Football.
- Maintain communication with athletic compliance office regarding legislation and interpretation of rules and regulations related to applicable legislation governing life skill programming and related activities.
- Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional organizations.
- Participate in campus committees and state and regional professional organizations. Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional organizations.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Participate in the shared responsibility in maintaining the academic integrity essential for the University to accomplish its mission; adhere to the University's policies and guidelines regarding academic integrity and dishonesty.
- Exhibit a level of expertise in their professional fields; must also treat the academic requirements necessary for progress toward a degree as a matter of the highest priority for the student-athletes in their charge and must actively encourage them to succeed academically and graduate.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program. Create a positive environment for the program and its participants.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and constituencies; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field. Master's degree preferred.
- A minimum of two (2) years of related work experience.
- Critical thinker with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to motivate, build long-term relationships with, and gain the respect of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to lead with empathy, cultural sensitivity, curiosity, and positivity.
- Track record of success in contributing to a collaborative, ethical, and professional team environment. Strong ability to work across campus.
- Valid driver's license.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 14, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes