(Sr) Contracts Negotiator
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
This Senior Contracts Negotiator or Contracts Negotiator position is responsible for comprehensive contract administration including review and negotiation of predominantly federally-funded and federal non-funded agreements and contracts with external sponsors and partners. Responsible for exercising sound decision-making and problem solving skills in the negotiation of contracts (including amendments, modifications, and subcontracts as necessary), and for assisting in the development of administrative procedures to comply with regulations affecting governmental and industry sponsored contracts. Liaison between Department, Link, Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance, Legal Counsel, Sponsor, Principal Investigator, post award and the pre-award proposal team as necessary to accomplish negotiation in a timely manner.
This position is eligible for remote or hybrid work location either in Virginia Tech's Blacksburg, VA or Arlington, VA locations.
- Advanced degree in Public or Business Administration, finance, law, or related field(s), or lesser degree with significant professional experience.
- Demonstrated financial and/or administrative experience in support of research.
- Significant experience and in-depth knowledge of federal and non-federal regulations and guidelines, cost principles, uniform administrative requirements for grants and audits of states, local governments, and non-profit organizations. Particularly, considerable knowledge of Federal procurement laws and regulations (e.g., Federal Acquisition Regulations).
- Demonstrated experience in the management and/or negotiation of complex contracts.
- Demonstrated leadership, independent initiative to interpret and apply federal regulations, policies, and procedures in a university or an agency funding or conducting research.
- Demonstrated experience building processes and strategies to facilitate efficient and effective research administration and/or contract negotiation.
- (Required for Senior Contracts Negotiator) Experience with mentoring or training of students or journey level colleagues.
- (Required for Senior Contracts Negotiator) Demonstrated experience and efficiency in the negotiation of complex contracts (such as those involving, intellectual property, publication restrictions, export control, classified contracts, propriety and confidential information and federal FAR clauses) as well as familiarity with federal and non-federal regulations and guidelines.
- Project administration and/or project management experience preferably in a Research setting.
- Knowledge of administrative and/or accounting practices and procedures in higher education.
- Significant training delivery experience in a professional environment.
Commensurate with experience
Position is eligible for hybrid work arrangement either through the main campus location in Blacksburg, VA or alternative location in Arlington, VA.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lynn Byrdat email@example.com regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.