Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
Delaware Valley University invites applications for the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The University seeks a strategic and motivated individual who will join the leadership team led by Dr. Benjamin Rusiloski, President. Reporting directly to Dr. Rusiloski, the Provost and Vice President Affairs will have responsibility for the Academic Affairs division of the University. The successful candidate will demonstrate strategic and visionary leadership, strong interpersonal and communication skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to the mission of the University.About the University
Founded in 1896, DelVal is an academically rigorous interdisciplinary university dedicated to the sciences and liberal arts. Today, its more than 1,000 acres of land is a testament to the University's mission to provide a functional, hands-on learning environment for students, serving as an outdoor classroom for several fields of study. DelVal offers students a wide array of undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education degree programs and is one of the few higher education institutions that requires an experiential learning component that is award-winning. DelVal has received numerous accolades including being named to Princeton Review's 2022 "Best in the Northeast" and U.S. News & World Report's 2022 "Best Regional Universities-North" lists.
Nestled in Bucks County, PA, known for its picturesque landscapes, DelVal is only 30 miles north of Philadelphia, and is easily accessible by regional rail located on campus.About the Position
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs provides strategic leadership and oversight of the Academic Affairs division of the University, including the Faculty, the curriculum, and the academic support areas. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs reports to the President of the University and serves on their Cabinet. This is a 12-month, regular full-time position.Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Provides direct supervision over the following areas: School of Graduate and Professional Studies, School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, School of Business and Humanities, School of Life and Physical Sciences, Registrar, Institutional Research, Continuing and Professional Studies, Distance Education and Educational Technology, Library Services, and Military and Veterans Affairs
- Collaborates with the Vice President for Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence in additional oversight of both the Center for Student Professional Development and the Office of Advising and Academic Success for which the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs has dotted-line reporting
- Oversees the recruitment, selection, and onboarding of all new full-time faculty while overseeing annual evaluation of existing full-time faculty, including progress towards promotion and tenure
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations and feedback to direct reports
- Sets yearly goals and initiatives for direct reports consistent with the University's strategic plan
Essential job responsibilities include:
- Oversees the quality and rigor of the academic programs across all four schools in both existing programs and in those under development
- Maintains compliance with accreditation requirements related to Academic Affairs from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), including the championing of assessment of student learning outcomes as well as program specific accreditations
- Articulates academic standards and ensures adherence to them
- Leads monthly Academic Council and Faculty meetings during the academic year
- Supports and maintains an environment of shared governance through the academic committee structure and with the Delaware Valley University chapter of the American Association of University Professors
- Develops and monitors annual academic operating budgets in partnership with the deans, program directors, and department chairs
- Implements relevant University policies across the division
- Partners with the Vice President for Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence in the education of the whole student across all curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular experiences
- Champions experiential learning opportunities for students in and beyond the classroom in partnership with Faculty and Staff and through the University's signature experiential learning program, Experience360 (E360)
- Partners with the Vice President for Enrollment Management on articulation and dual enrollment agreement development and stewarding existing relationships
- Co-leads and supports University student retention and persistence efforts in partnership with the Vice President for Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence and the Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Pursues and develops innovative external partnerships to support teaching and learning
- Serves as the co-liaison with the Vice President for Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence to the Academic and Student Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Serves as the co-liaison with the Vice President for Enrollment Management and the Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications to the Enrollment and Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Provides oversight and leadership for major academic ceremonial programs: Convocation, Founders' Day, Day of Scholarship, and Commencement
- Generates annual contracts for all full-time faculty in addition to semester/term contracts for all adjunct faculty and overload contracts for full-time faculty
- Leads Deans in ongoing evaluation of potential new academic programs for Undergraduate, Graduate and Continuing and professional studies
- Other duties as assigned by the President of the University
- Doctoral degree
- 5-10 years of progressive academic leadership experience at an accredited college or university that includes service as a Dean and/or Vice President/Provost
- Experience working in close collaboration with Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence (Student Affairs) to support students in and beyond the classroom
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Broad knowledge of higher education including faculty governance
- Knowledge of the institutional accreditation standards and the periodic reaffirmation of accreditation processes, including interim reporting
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively resolve problems and conflicts
- Ability to contribute meaningfully to campus conversations about diversity and inclusion
- Ability to build rapport and engage with key stakeholder groups including students, staff, faculty, families and external agencies
Physical demands and working conditions for this position include:
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Intermittently sitting, standing, and stooping
- Beautiful college campus in charming Doylestown!
- Collaborative, collegial colleagues!
- Tuition waiver for self and dependents!
- Tuition Exchange for dependent children with 677+ participating schools!
- Generous paid time off policy including paid winter break!
- Many other excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability and flex spending and retirement plan with employer contribution!
Selected applicants will be responsible for providing the University with clearances, appropriate to the position, that have been completed within the last 5 years. These clearances include, but are not limited to the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check.
Delaware Valley University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce.