Assistant Director for Finance and Administration
The Assistant Director of Finance and Administration provides support for Student Affairs from the central administrative unit for the division. This position will provide leadership in financial administration, foster team work and collaboration, and demonstrate a high commitment to customer service by applying extensive knowledge, skills, and management experience in the oversight of daily financial and administrative functions. Financial duties include maintaining and updating monthly financial and budget reports; maintaining and reconciling budget records; processing budget adjustments and required transfers; management and oversight of monthly reconciliations for state and Foundation funds, payroll, P-card activity and fixed assets; providing oversight for fiscal functions and business compliance and maintenance of internal controls in adherence with university and state regulations; providing training on new business systems adopted by the university; and proactively monitoring actions for audit concerns and implementing audit recommendations.
- Master's degree in Public or Business Administration, finance, economics, or related field or a Bachelor's degree with significant training and/or experience, which equates to an advanced degree.
- Experience in a financial role in higher education, with exposure to fund accounting, budgeting, payroll, funds handling, procurement, and accounts receivable.
- Demonstrated successful experience in performing detailed accounting work and reconciliations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budget formulation, evaluation, and execution; accounting practices and procedures; and accepted business practices.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures and demonstrated experience following and communicating financial policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated leadership, a high level of independent judgment, initiative, discretion and problem solving skills.
- Exemplary organizational and time management skills fostering a demonstrated track record of success and a strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to cultivate positive working relationships, foster teamwork, and support collaboration.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to proper financial ethics and internal controls.
- Proficiency in working with computer applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, QuickBooks, and enterprise resource planning systems and the ability to learn software as needed.
- Demonstrated success in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience with administrative and financial systems and procedures specific to VT such as Banner, Hokie Mart, Chrome River, and CashNet.
- Demonstrated technology proficiency in business intelligence tools such as MicroStrategy for reporting and analysis.
- CPA license or similar professional certification.
Commensurate with experience
May 27th, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.