The Executive Assistant serves and supports the administrative functions of the Department of Chemistry in the College of Science. The ideal candidate must be professional, flexible, organized, have strong interpersonal skills, and be an effective communicator. This position requires the ability to work independently with complex confidential matters while using excellent judgement and decision-making skills to ensure professionalism and integrity of the office. This position reports to the Department Chair and the Director of Business Operations.
Duties will include, serving as the Executive Assistant to the Chair of the department, serving as the principal liaison for all on and off-campus individuals with whom the department works, including faculty members, the College of Science administration, members of the Department of Chemistry Advisory Committee (DCAC), and in some cases, students and alumni.
The Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to the Chemistry Department, including managing room calendars, ordering office supplies, copier management, scheduling meetings and preparing agendas and minutes for meetings, including departmental faculty meetings, executive committee meetings, and personnel committee meetings. Under the guidance of the Chair, manages daily workflow, assisting the Chair in the proofreading of departmental reports, assist with the promotion and tenure process, coordinating and scheduling both internal and external departmental meetings and events, making travel arrangements and reimbursements for guests as needed, and coordinating/managing departmental and chair calendars. For some of these events, occasional after hour duties are to be expected. The Executive Assistant will be the first point of contact and liaison for all departmental visitors, guests, and invited speakers. This position also will be responsible for poster printing, mail distribution, key distribution, and records destruction.
- Demonstrated experience in providing high level of administrative support in a professional office environment.
- Experience utilizing various software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook, and ability to perform computer functions such as calendar management and internet navigation.
- Strong organization and time management skills and ability to organize and promptly process varied assignments
- Must have focused attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with diverse clientele
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, Business, or closely related field
- Significant experience in a service-oriented office setting.
- Working knowledge of university policies and procedures.
- Experience with managing and updating databases.
- Experience providing administrative to support for Senior Executives in higher education.
- Experience with Banner, HokieMart, Chrome River, and other Virginia Tech applications or similar
- Previous experience providing logistical and event planning support
May 27, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brandi Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.