Fiscal & Program Support Technician
The primary responsibility of the Fiscal & Program Technician is to provide support for the VT School of Neuroscience's financial and administrative operations. Our pace of work enables fast learning and fosters an environment where you can stretch yourself and make an impact. We're committed to growing the capabilities of our people, where you actively work with diverse individuals, explore new ways of thinking, and expand your talents. If you are an enthusiastic team player eager to engage, learn, and grow with others, see below!
The essential duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining precise financial records and processing transactions for various School accounts. This includes operating, salary, overhead, start-up, and VT Foundation accounts, as well as internally and externally funded research grants;
- Purchasing and tracking purchase orders through Hokiemart to comply with university prompt pay expectations, processing invoice payments, and assisting with wage and salary payroll reconciliation;
- Preparing travel arrangements for departmental employees, students, and visitors, as well as processing travel reimbursements with detailed documentation in accordance with state and university policy through the Chrome River system;
- Assist with basic operational questions from vendors, lab groups, and various university partners to support daily business operations in conjunction with other staff;
- Assist with the maintenance and integrity of the record management process;
- Successfully complete administrative support tasks, such as special events, projects, administrative strategic planning, etc,
Compensation will be up to a budget maximum of $43,500.00. The review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications must be submitted online and should include:
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position, your skills, and your accomplishments;
- Most current resume;
- Minimum of three professional references.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to research, investigate, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial transactions with attention to detail;
- Working knowledge of general accounting and financial systems, as well as business office practices and procedures;
- Ability to perform financial calculations using Excel (or similar) spreadsheets;
- Proven proficiency using Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Google Suite;
- Ability to work effectively with multiple deadlines while maintaining attention to detail;
- Previous experience working in an environment with high standards for quality of work while working independently, taking initiative, & prioritizing tasks were essential skills;
- Recognized customer service skills working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds in a pleasant and professional manner, cultivating positive working relationships, fostering teamwork, and supporting collaboration.
- Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field or equivalent level of training and/or experience;
- Prior administrative support;
- Knowledge and experience in, or high desire to learn, the preparation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of budgets;
- Experience with Hokie Mart, Banner, Chrome River, Timeclock Plus, Microstrategy, or other financial record keeping software;
- Working knowledge of the policies and procedures related to fiscal actions for Virginia Tech, the Virginia Tech Foundation, and the
- Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Experience coordinating international and domestic travel arrangements.
$41,000 - 43,500
5/25/2020; Open Until Filled
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation, please contact Jonathan Hedrick at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.