Instructor of Data Science
The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of North Dakota invites applications for a non-tenure-track instructional faculty position. All focus areas of Data Science are welcome. This position is a 9-month position contingent on availability of funding.
The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science is housed in the College of Engineering and Mines and currently offers BS and MS degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, and Cyber Security; PhD degrees are offered in Electrical Engineering and in Computer Science.
Established in 1883, the University of North Dakota is the oldest research university in North Dakota. It is the state’s flagship university and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as having high research activity. UND is a prominent scientific research university and was recently ranked among the top 100 public and top 25 most innovative universities in the country by U.S. News and World Report and is widely regarded as among the top universities in the American Northern Plains region. UND offers degrees in more than 225 fields of study with nearly 14,000 students. It is the home of the state’s only School of Aerospace Sciences, the state’s only School of Law and the state’s only School of Medicine and Health Sciences. The School of Aerospace is home to one of the first and largest unmanned aerial vehicle programs in the world.
UND is located in Grand Forks, North Dakota, a vibrant college town of over 57,000 people located on the border of North Dakota and Minnesota. Short commutes, a great public school system, high quality medical facilities, low crime, ample parks and theaters, and a cost of living below that found in large American cities are some of Grand Forks’ advantages. Ranked as one of the top 5 Best Small College Towns, and America’s Best Hockey Town, Grand Forks offers stellar quality of life without metropolitan hassles.Position Benefits
Benefits include single or family health care coverage (UND pays the full premium), $12,000 in basic life insurance, employee assistance program, retirement plans with generous employer contributions, and 10 paid holidays.
Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.
UND also offers an employee tuition waiver and a variety of professional development opportunities.
Find out more about UND's great benefits and perks here!Duties & Responsibilities
The successful applicant will receive a contract with an approximate distribution of 90% teaching and 10% service effort. UND and the College of Engineering and Mines value diverse perspectives and seek applicants who are committed to helping students from underrepresented backgrounds succeed.
- Instruction in an area of Data Science
- Teaching an approximately 4/5 course load in Data Science, both on-campus and at-a-distance, potentially including both classroom and laboratory settings.
- Advising students in course planning and fulfilling graduation requirements.
- Communicating effectively in English with students, faculty, staff, and other professional colleagues in person and at-a-distance
- Utilizing computer hardware and software to carry out teaching and service responsibilities to the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Participating in school, college, university, and professional service activities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including evidence of the ability to teach, inspire, and mentor students
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, and students
- Ability to work with and engage diverse students and colleagues
- Ability to adapt to current methods of teaching, including online delivery
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language
- Master’s degree in Data Science or a closely related field
- Successful completion of criminal history records check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.Preferred Qualifications
- Completion of a PhD degree in Data Science or a closely related field
- Experience teaching classes at the undergraduate level
- Experience teaching classes at the graduate level
- Expertise in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning
- Expertise in Databases, Data Engineering, and Data Mining
- Expertise in Data Visualization and Predictive Modeling
Competitive salary, based on qualificationsWork Schedule/Start Date
Position is full-time, benefitted and exempt. The dates of the initial contract are August 16, 2022 to May 15, 2023.To Apply
For full consideration, applications must be received by June 15, 2022 and include the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- 2-page statement of teaching interests
- Names and contact information for three (3) references