Turf Spray Technician
Posting Number: req9902
Department: Facilities Mgmt-Operation Svcs
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The University of Arizona is looking for a Turf Spray Technician to lead the chemical care of all Athletic Fields and Campus Turf. This position reports to our Turf Management team and oversees the chemical application, fertilization and pest management of all campus turf. This position is a liaison between turf teams, grounds management, and campus Athletics to ensure the proper care and treatment of turf and surrounding plants. This is a great opportunity for growth and learning within Grounds Services at UofA.
Grounds Services is an award winning team that cares for the beautiful University of Arizona campus. We are interested in applicants who are passionate about the grounds keeping trade and want to join us in keeping U of A beautiful. From planting and maintaining flowers to trimming trees, our staff ensures the clean and orderly appearance of the grounds, structures, and facilities at the U of A. Our work is done on the beautiful U of A campus holding to our core values of inclusion, compassion, determination, adaptability, exploration and integrity. We provide employees an amazing and nurturing environment, proper tools of the trade, opportunities for training and growth, uniforms, and excellent benefits and paid days off. If you can see yourself in a job on campus, we invite you to apply. If you are a technical expert in chemical application and have an interest in being part of a top rated Grounds department, then we invite you to apply.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Diagnose and treat insect, disease, weed and cultural issues associated with lawn and tree care.
- Communicate with supervisor, peers and campus stakeholders on chemical application and pest control needs and make recommendations for care.
- Monitor and identify pest and weed issues and prevent them through the creation of pest and weed control schedules. Using project management skills, coordinate delivery to meet schedules.
- Establish relationships with customers and resolve any customer concerns.
- Mix and apply pesticides as needed and help load and unload equipment, chemicals and fertilizer from /to trucks and storage areas.
- Maintain and update Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for chemical usage.
- Maintain equipment and tools used in chemical application and send out for service as required.
- Inspect outdoor areas and recommend extermination and pest control methods.
- Apply fertilizers and insecticides to turf and ornamental plants according to schedule, safety procedures, and label instructions.
- Set up and operate hand and power spray equipment to spray, dust and/or spread various chemicals and other designated materials including pesticides, herbicides, soil sterilants, grass killer, hormones, fertilizers, seeds and specified soil amendments.
- Install, adjust and perform minor repairs on application equipment.
- Maintain work area, chemical storage area and equipment in a condition that promotes good safety practices and in compliance with OSHA, State of Arizona Office of Pest Management and UofA Risk Management.
- As needed, assist in the upkeep of Turf maintenance.
- Complete required production forms, reports, invoices and vehicle inspection forms.
- Maintain vehicle through cleanliness, safety, and general maintenance.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- Valid State of Arizona Certified Applicators license with Turf and Ornamental certification.
- Must have a Pesticide
Applicator License or the ability to obtain a license within 6 months of
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.00 to $18.00 DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Facilities Mgmt & Services
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Michelle Obregon 520-621-0255 email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.