Senior Director of Communications for SVPCBO Enterprise
The sr. director of communications for the Senior Vice President and Chief Business Officer (SVPCBO) is responsible for strategic oversight and alignment of a united communications program and marketing strategy for all divisions reporting to the SVPCBO office. This role aligns those activities with university-wide communications, marketing, and branding initiatives as established by Virginia Tech's University Relations. This individual serves as a team member and partner with the university's SVPCBO and all leadership within the SVPCBO's enterprise.
As part of the sr. director's responsibilities, this individual works closely with key stakeholders to enhance knowledge-share with both the university community and the broader external community around functional units and Organizational Excellence Initiatives within the SVPCBO enterprise. The sr. director reports to the SVPCBO and the AVP for University Relations.
- Manages oversight of all strategic messaging and content creation for use on websites, social media, and print publications supporting divisions reporting to the SVPCBO.
- Serves as a communications lead on enterprise-wide strategic initiatives and projects and liaises with other communications professionals within the SVPCBO enterprise and across the university to ensure aligned messaging.
- With SVPCBO enterprise divisional leadership, provides shared management and oversight of communications leaders in the SVPCBO enterprise.
- Collaborates with core University Relations units (Virginia Tech News, social media, media relations, content creation, marketing, etc.) to ensure communications to key audiences are appropriate, timely, and supportive of the university's mission and vision.
- Collaborates with the Town of Blacksburg and regional government stakeholders around infrastructure and public safety communications projects.
This position is an on-site role in Blacksburg, VA.
- A Master's degree in communications, journalism, or related field; or a bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field with training and/or experience that equates to an advanced degree.
- Substantial skill in developing communication and web and social marketing materials, strong writing skills, with an emphasis on news releases, articles and web and social media content.
- Working knowledge and understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles, and the use of the internet as a medium of communication.
- Ability to distill complex information into descriptions appropriate for a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to work with a variety of personnel, collaborate on projects, and perform responsibilities in a proactive, responsive, and professional manner with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work with and to keep sensitive data and information confidential.
- Proficient using programs and tools such as word processing, image processing, content management system, and social media.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values expressed in the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Experience working in higher education or human resources
- Have received an Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) certification.
- Demonstrated experience leading people, either as a supervisor, a colleague collaborating with others, or both.
- Experience with communications governance; experience with website implementation/redesign; experience as a photographer or with the effective selection and use of photography to complement messaging strategies.
- Experience working with a variety of creative communications, data analytics, email management, and web content management software platforms.
June 10. 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.