The Support Specialist responds to support incidents escalated to Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), the group responsible for software systems related to teaching and learning. The Support Specialist helps callers identify and solve problems in Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS), video management system (VMS), and other IT services. The Support Specialist typically uses ticket management software to communicate with callers, but occasionally communicates via phone and in person. The Support Specialist also performs testing, quality assurance, technical documentation, and other tasks as requested.
- Experience providing customer service to a diverse group of people.
- Able to assess and address customer needs and to evaluate customer satisfaction.
- Ability to perform all duties with professionalism, courtesy, and tact in a challenging environment.
- Strong work ethic; able to work diligently and communicatively as part of a team; willing to document knowledge and share with others.
- Demonstrated computer competency; background using a variety of web browsers, operating systems, and software.
- Detail oriented, patient, and methodical; aptitude for methodically testing, troubleshooting, and solving technical problems.
- Experience in a helpdesk environment.
- Experience handling confidential information.
- Experience in learning management systems.
- Experience in video management.
- Experience in software testing and documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical discipline.
Commensurate on experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact India Eanes at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.