Human Resource Payroll - Benefits Specialist
TBCC Career Site
Position Title: Human Resource Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Work type: Administrative
Location: Tillamook, OR
Department: Human Resources
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $42,244.66($21.21/hr.) – 60,230.78 ($30.24/hr.)
Compensation Band: Grade 16
FLSA Exempt: NoCollege and Area Information
Tillamook Bay Community College (TBCC) is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, and highly skilled candidate to serve as the Payroll and Benefits Specialist and to work in conjunction with and support of the College’s mission: Tillamook Bay Community College creates bridges to opportunity by providing quality education that serves the needs of our diverse community.
Tillamook Bay Community College is located 85 miles west of Portland on the beautiful North Oregon Coast in Tillamook, Oregon. The county has a population of 26,000 and TBCC serves over 2,060 students per year.Organizational Relationship
Reports to: Director of Human ResourcesPosition Summary
The Payroll & Benefits Specialist administers the activities relating to the company payroll, benefits, and HRIS processing including developing, implementing, and monitoring (e.g., performing internal audit and control procedures to ensure that all wages and taxes are accurate). The individual will be the company’s subject matter expert as it relates to payroll and benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
Process payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay as necessary
Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources team to improve payroll and HRIS processes
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and changes
- Prepare quarterly tax credit reports and submit to third party vendor
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements
- Submit employee membership and termination data on web
- Monitor employee PERS eligibility
- Respond to information requests from PERS
- Monthly web reporting of employee wage and hour data
- Audit PERS records biannually and make adjustments, when necessary
- Maintain PERS archives
- Administers FMLA/OFLA leave
- Administers COBRA
- Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations.
- Coordinates and conducts the new employee on boarding process and presents benefits presentations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Accounting for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 403b, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned to support the operations of Human Resources and the Business Office
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both written and orally, as to communicate with employees and management one-on-one and in meetings
- Ability to work individually and with a team
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to research and reconcile payroll discrepancies
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Desire to learn and seek continuous improvement
- Associates Degree in a related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience administering payroll and benefits processes required
- Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience
- Must have strong knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including payroll, benefits, time & attendance, HRIS and self-service systems
- Must have a high-level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit processes and procedures, including eligibility and enrollment rules and benefit procedures Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Fundamental Payroll Certification
- PHR/SHRMCP certification
- Knowledge of Jenzabar accounting system or similar payroll accounting system
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times
Complete application packets will have first consideration. The submission of all required application materials is the responsibility of the applicant.
Please respond via email with cover letter, resume and application indicating proof of your abilities to achieve the above job description and a minimum of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications may also be mailed to:
Tillamook Bay Community College Attn. Human Resources 4301 Third Street Tillamook, OR, 97141
To print application go to https://tillamookbaycc.edu/about-tbcc/human-resources/ and choose the staff application packet.
Position Open until filled
First review of applications: Friday, May 27, 2022
Compensation and Position Availability
This is a 1.0 FTE non-exempt position. Compensation is $21.21 – $30.24 per hour depending on experience. Placement will generally not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. Benefits are in accordance with Board Policy. Full employer paid PERS.