Director of Residential Dining (Food Services Manager 5)
Job Number: REQ_0000029819APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- If you are NOT a current employee or student, please click "Apply" and complete the application process for external applicants.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Pennsylvania State University is seeking a Director of Residential Dining (Food Services Manager 5) to lead the Residential Dining program at the University Park campus, which includes five dining commons and numerous retail operations (convenience store/markets, coffee shops, and a food truck) that serve nearly 15,000 on and off campus students, faculty, staff, and guests daily.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Housing & Food Services, this position will be responsible for a nearly $70 million income generating operation that employs more than 86 full-time staff, 235 full-time technical service employees, and over 500 students.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administer and strategically direct programs related to the Residential Dining program at Penn State's University Park campus, ensuring the highest standards of food quality, customer service, food safety, and sanitation are achieved
- Coordinate the development and implementation of food service's strategic and capital plans
- Establishment and evaluating/standardizing operations
- Support and implement University and departmental policies and procedures, recommending modifications or enhancements as necessary
- Participate on various University committees and attend leadership meetings. Actively participate in professional organizations and mentoring programs
- Hire, orientate, train, coach, manage, discipline, and evaluate members of the management team. Assign responsibilities and set standards. Conduct regular meetings with staff to review and discuss policies, generate new ideas, and develop resolutions, all while creating and maintaining an environment conducive to positive employee relations, professional growth, and a cohesive leadership team
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations to budgets for Residential Dining operations. Leverage business intelligence and relevant business information/technology systems to analyze business trends, adjusting to ensure profitability
- Plan and develop marketing and business strategies for all Residential Dining operations. Recommend, approve, and arrange advertising and public relations as required. Maintain active and positive relationship with the media. Promote food services to students, parents and families, faculty, staff, media, other universities, and visitors
- Remain current with food, equipment, facility, and service trends. Develop changes to programs to meet current and future needs of our customers
- Evaluate and plan short and long term equipment and facility needs. Establish priorities. Recommend replacement or purchase of new equipment. Plan for preventative maintenance and summer repairs. Participate in renovation planning and continual upgrades of facilities. Research new equipment and products, making recommendations as needed. Collaborate with architects, designers, and consultants to plan renovations to existing and new facilities
- Assist the Assistant Vice President of Housing & Food Services with special projects or requests. Provide data, reports, presentations, and information as requested
The successful candidate will be a strong leader with demonstrated relationship building skills. Visibility and interaction with various University departments, students, faculty and staff, sales reps, and customers is an essential aspect of this leadership position. The ability to leverage strong relationships is required.
Education and Experience:
Typically requires Bachelor's Degree or higher in a hospitality, business, or a nutrition related discipline, plus 10 years of experience. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The following backgroundchecksmustbe successfully completed for this position:
This position will require successful completion of standard background checks.
Residential Dining is a unit within Penn State Housing & Food Services. In conjunction with Retail Dining Operations, Penn State Campus Dining is one of the largest university food service organizations in the country, purchasing over $40 million in goods each year, generating a combined revenue of $85 million annually. Enhancing our students' residential experiences through quality and innovation is a priority at Penn State.
More about Residential Dining:
Residential Dining at University Park offers five convenient locations across campus: North, South, East, West, and Pollock areas. There are dozens of great options for students to get the most from their meal plan-morning, noon, and night! Penn State offers one of the most flexible meal plans in the country. Residential Dining offers all-you-care-to-eat (one price/meal), ala carte options (pay/item), a food truck, and convenience stores, serving approximately 1.4 million meals each semester.
Living on campus is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for students. It's an exciting time, filled with new opportunities, new freedom, and new friends. Housing and Food Services at Penn State is dedicated to creating the most comfortable, positive, and memorable experience for Penn State students. We want students to look back on their time in the residence halls as an important part of their college journey.
We work to provide an atmosphere that encourages a healthy lifestyle and a safe campus culture, supporting students as they learn and grow. Whether we're organizing and hosting campus events, cooking at the dining commons, or cleaning in the residence halls, our staff's priority is to make our residence halls a "second home" for our students.
Finance and Business is a value driven organization that supports thousands of university faculty, staff, and students, while also providing services to the broader community and society. Auxiliary and Business Services is part of the Finance and Business team and has a vision of being a progressive, creative, innovative, and caring organization which provides the highest quality services, leadership, and expertise valued by our customers, our staff, and the communities we serve. Our values model those of Penn State's and we are especially committed to our goal of effectively managing and developing human resources within Auxiliary and Business Services while providing optimum personal satisfaction and professional growth in a diverse, enriching, challenging, and stimulating environment. We also firmly believe in the value of Respect, which encourages us to "respect and honor the dignity of each person, embrace civil discourse, and foster a diverse and inclusive community." As an incoming team member in Auxiliary and Business Services, it will be expected that all employees embody and model Penn State's and Finance and Business's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.University Park, PA