The Analytics and Institutional Effectiveness (AIE) office at Virginia Tech is looking for a creative and passionate data professional to help build and operationalize data solutions that provide analytical insights and information necessary to improve the operational, tactical, and strategic decision-making processes across the institution. We are looking for a professional who is,
- Data and tech savvy
- Innately curious, a fast learner, and a problem solver
- Self-motivated team player with a drive to get things done
- Design, develop, scale, optimize, and maintain data pipelines that extract, load, transform, and integrate data from wide variety of data sources spread across the institution
- Design, develop, and operationalize quantitative solutions that provide actionable insights to the decision makers at all levels of the institution
- MS in Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Mathematics, Physics, Finance, or other quantitative disciplines.
- Sound knowledge of statistical methods and machine learning algorithms
- Hands on experience in collecting, integrating, processing, and analyzing data
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Knowledge of open source or commercial data visualization libraries/tools
- Ability to analyze, summarize and present quantitative and qualitative information clearly
- Ability to work in highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented with an ability to understand the university environment and contribute broadly to a variety of university goals and projects
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Mathematics, Physics, Finance, or other quantitative disciplines
- Professional experience in operationalizing machine learning models to solve real world problems
- Experience in cloud computing with exposure to big data technologies (AWS services, Apache Spark, Hadoop, Hive)
- Experience in working with relational and non-relational database systems
May 23, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrieratlfarrier@vt.eduduring regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.