Director of Residence Life & Housing
REPORTS TO: ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR STUDENT LIFE AND TITLE IX COORDINATOR
STATUS: FULL, EXEMPT, SALARIED
Lake Erie College, a small, co-educational, four-year, independent liberal arts college located in Painesville, OH, 30 miles east of Cleveland, invites applications for the full-time position of Director of Residence Life & Housing (DRLH). As a member of the Student Affairs staff, the DRLH is responsible for the general welfare of all students, encouraging them to maximize their intellectual and social growth through development of the whole person. The DRLH is expected to positively influence, contribute to and improve the quality of life of the residential student through programming, enforcing college policies and procedures, and by forming individual relationships with each student in their residential community. Priority for this position will be to maintain partnerships with the city of Painesville and owners of any offsite residential facilities, serving as a liaison with direct and streamlined communication to continually improve the live-in experience for students. In addition, the DRLH and staff will monitor the transition of residential students throughout their time at Lake Erie College and provide appropriate support and resources to enhance the overall retention and success of each resident. The DRLH will report directly to the associate vice president for student affairs & Title IX coordinator (AVPSA) and indirectly to the provost. This is a live-off position.
- Manages a residential living community ranging from 120-250 residents varying from residence hall living to apartment living.
- Supervises student resident assistant (RA) (14-16) and paraprofessional resident director (RD) (4-6) staff members.
- Serves as the liaison between any off site residential facilities and maintains partnerships with the building personnel.
- Collects data regarding retention of residential students and creates/maintains initiatives to improve the overall residential experience.
- Administers weekly RD staff meetings and monthly RA whole staff meetings.
- Attends weekly staff meetings and weekly one-on-ones with the AVPSA. Submits weekly and on-call reports to the AVPSA.
- Assists with planning and implementing community programs with RAs according to the Community Development area outlined in the RA position description.
- Oversees the training, selection and evaluation of RA/RD staff.
- Facilitates resident check-in and check-out process.
- Provides crisis intervention when needed and makes appropriate referrals.
- Intercedes regarding policy violations and makes appropriate referrals.
- Provides sensitive, responsive and well-informed guidance to residents regarding individual and collective concerns.
- When needed, serves as conduct officer and facilitates roommate mediations.
- Is visible and accessible to residents within your community.
- Represents the division of Student Affairs at College functions and events.
- Attends RA programs to help evaluate and ensure quality programming.
- Maintains RA programming database to ensure that requirements are met.
- Facilitates the Six Week Programming Challenge and plans recognition event.
- Assesses student programming interests and needs.
- Streamlines facility and budgetary requests for programs and training.
- Coordinates the planning of RA training (Fall and Winter).
- Coordinates outside training opportunities throughout the year for the staff.
- Serves as after-hours on call for maintenance emergencies and reports them to maintenance staff directly.
- Checks housing maintenance email inbox, submits maintenance requests daily and manages the residential maintenance database.
- Serves as the liaison between Physical Plant & Housekeeping and Student Affairs.
- Manages keys and completes key audits as needed for all residential areas.
- Coordinates monthly health and safety inspections and necessary follow ups.
- Coordinates break housing, including communication to/with students and break requests.
- Coordinates and complete inspections with the local fire marshall as needed.
- Coordinates and communicates with census officials as needed.
- Facilitates room selection and new student housing placement/roommate matching.
- Enters and maintains housing data in Jenzabar EX system.
- Maintains residential student housing files and roster information.
- Facilitates the check in and check out process of summer residents and outside groups/summer campus that are using the residential facilities.
- Supervises summer student worker staff and leads these individuals in the completion of special projects, including but not limited to assessment of rooms and common spaces in the residence halls and apartments, replacement and installation of apartment amenities and moving furniture.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the associate vice president for student affairs & Title IX coordinator or provost.
- Master’s degree in higher education or a related field.
- Five years of professional experience in residence life & housing management and leadership.
- Significant experience with college student leadership development and large-scale event planning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Dedication to retention of students through positive living and learning experiences.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including late night and weekends.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to develop, initiate and actively participate in developmental student programming.
- Commitment to work and educate inclusively with a diverse student population, including a large number of student-athletes.
- Sound administrative and supervisory skills.
- Characteristics of successful individuals who have served in this position – solution-oriented, detail-oriented, patient, persistent, flexible, curious, caring, comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- Sense of humor.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references either (1) via email to email@example.com, (2) online at www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/ or (3) to Director of Residence Life & Housing Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Learn more at https://www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/. EOE
As one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Ohio’s Western Reserve, Lake Erie College is proud of its long heritage. From its start as a female seminary, in the Mount Holyoke style, to the coeducational institution it is today, the College has been a leader in higher education for over 160 years. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees, the College fosters an environment of engagement, empowerment and self-evaluation in a diverse world, for both students and employees. We offer a rich menu of employee benefits in retirement, health, education and more, affirming the value we place in our employees.
Lake Erie College provides an excellent, inclusive, and highly personalized education grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Guided by hope and care, our students are empowered to lead lives of personal significance and professional success as global citizens.