What's next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story-past, present and future-is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students' skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coverage
The Director of the Library is responsible for planning, implementation, management and evaluation of all library services, including strategic planning, budgeting, collection development and reference and instructional services. Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Prepare annual library operating and capital budgets.
- Write and submit various reports to campus community as well as regional, national and programmatic accreditations as needed.
- Collaborate with the library committee, faculty, department heads, and other members of the campus community to ensure that library collections meet user needs.
- Acquire new materials in all formats consistent with overall institutional strategic goals, the library's collection development policy, and annual budget allocations.
- Review existing collections for continued curriculum relevance.
- Develop, supervise and provide library services that may include circulation, interlibrary loan, reference, information literacy activities, and campus community outreach.
- Write and update library policy and procedure documents, in close consultation with Academic Affairs and university wide library policies.
- Oversee library technology, including procurement and maintenance of hardware, software and AV equipment.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate library service personnel.
- Attend meetings and workshops, and seek additional opportunities for professional development. Work collaboratively and collectively with other Directors of the Library at South University campuses. Other Duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Library, Information Science, or related from an ALA accredited school.
- At least 7 to 10 years experience working in a library in a post-secondary institution.
- Held positions of increasingly responsible experience in the industry.
- Knowledge of subjects usually taught at a post-secondary institution
- Knowledge of integrated library systems
, OCLC, MARC records and current technologies
- Fiscal and personnel management expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with both peer and subordinate personnel.
- Superior organizational skills
- Work effectively as either a leader or team member to insure that departmental goals are met.
- Ability to develop and coordinate collection processes.
- Budget development.
- Selection and training.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 15 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.