Data Lake and Integration Manager
National Louis University (NLU) has built a sophisticated data infrastructure, allowing for cutting-edge approaches to strategic analytics, assessment, evaluation, and data-informed practices. The Data Lake & Integration Manager will be a key member on a newly formed Business Intelligence and Strategic Analytics unit to oversee the data infrastructure and integrations within NLU’s Oracle based Data Lake. The Data Lake & Integration Manager will work closely with Colleges, academic and operational units to architect data solutions aligned with NLU’s data roadmap and strategy. The Data Lake & Integration Manager will be responsible for maintaining and creating new Data Lake objects and integrations with existing and new data systems, and documenting Data Lake content and integration operations. This position will work in collaboration with team members in the department to develop and execute institutional data standards and policies that ensures integrity of NLU data used for analytics.
Responsibilities and Outcomes:
- Manage NLU’s reporting data infrastructure, including BI Lake (Oracle data base) objects and BI/Analytics applications (Jitterbit, MS PowerBI, Tableau, etc.) maintenance and documentation. Maintain and expand NLU’s widely used data-dictionary with robust documentation of data assets, business logic, metrics, and metric use. Collaborate with Learning and Information Technology Services (LITS) department on Data Lake access and security.
- Maintain current and create/document new data integrations to/from NLU’s Data Lake through various applications such as Jitterbit, APIs, PL/SQL, etc.
- Assess and develop data requirements, integration, analysis, and data modelling related projects across academic and operational units, creating data objects, dashboards and/or reports, as needed.
- Serve as a key member of NLU’s Data Governance team, creating, documenting, and implementing institutional data standards and policies to ensure integrity and security of NLU data use.
- Support implementation of new systems and technologies for the institution, serving as a key member of technology implementation teams to identify needs, vet tech solutions, and ensure new systems have the capability to integrate needed data into NLU’s Data Lake.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Information Systems, Business or other related field, required. Master’s degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience manipulating and managing large data sets within a BI, IT, or strategy/analytics team, and building data objects such as tables, views and functions with analytical software and/or coding languages. Experience with Oracle SQL required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience building data integrations using ETL tools such as Jitterbit, and utilizing various data accessibility means such as APIs.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with data governance and/or creating/implementing/documenting data standards or policies.
- Proficiency with sophisticated analytic tools, programming languages and visualization platforms, preferably PowerBI/Tableau.
- Analytical Thinking - Breaks down problems and issues into sub-components and then assesses the costs, benefits and risks of various options prior to selecting a particular approach. Strong analytical ability, judgment and problem solving techniques with attention to detail.
- Time Management – Prioritizes tasks and manages time to ensure that deadlines are met. Plans his or her time and sticks to those plans. Prevents or manages interruptions until the highest priority tasks are accomplished.
- Project Management – Manages each stage of a project to ensure that commitments are met in a manner that is timely and within budget. Clearly defines roles and responsibilities, determines necessary resources, and monitors project performance through appropriate systems and procedures.
NLU Inclusion Statement:
National Louis University is deeply committed to serving its community, advancing access and equity, and ensuring that all individuals are welcomed and valued. We are dedicated to fostering a culture where diversity, equity, and inclusion remain at the core of who we are. These are more than just words to us: they are truly a way of life for the NLU community. We recognize that differences in age, race, gender (identity and expression), nationality, sexual orientation, physical and intellectual ability, and background bring richness to our work environment. We affirm diverse perspectives, innovative contributions, and authentic presentations of self from every member within the NLU community. We believe inclusion is grounded in the actions we intentionally take each day. Our goal is to inspire and empower NLU employees and community members to cultivate an environment where we collectively focus on uplifting and advancing our institutional culture.