Transportation Research Assistance
The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) conducts research to save lives, time, and money and protect the environment. As one of six premier research institutes created by Virginia Tech to answer national challenges, VTTI is continually advancing transportation through innovation and has affected public policy on national and international levels. This position provides a hands-on opportunity to work with cutting edge vehicle and roadway lighting technologies through systematic deployment and testing.
Watch this video to learn more about what it's like to work at VTTI! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4VWviw5JA)
Job duties include:
- Support the execution of research experiments on VTTI's Smart Road or other facilities, some of which are conducted in the evenings (~20%)
- Assist with basic data analysis including preparing summary statistics (e.g., averages, minimum and maximum, standard deviations)
- Assist with the design and documentation of research protocols to ensure experiments are completed in a safe and controlled manner,
- Assist with the recruitment of human participants for research experiments, and work with those selected for participation to gather data according to the research protocol,
- Prepare the Smart Road or related facilities and vehicles for experiments
- Travel to off-site locations to manage data collection and execute research protocols (5 - 10% travel)
- Assist with project documentation including the development of interim and final reports, PowerPoint decks presented to clients, and grant proposals,
- Perform other duties in support of conducting research projects.
This is a fast-paced research environment so excellent candidates must work with little supervision. May eventually supervise, coordinate and train junior experimental staff and students.
- Bachelor's degree in psychology, engineering, or related field OR equivalent combination of education & training.
- Good communication, organization, and documentation skills
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in lab and research policies, procedures and protocols,
- Demonstrated experience running scientific experiments,
- Demonstrated experience drafting research protocols,
- Experience conducting basic data and/or statistical analysis,
- Demonstrated proficiency with basic computer software (i.e. strong Excel skills, PowerPoint, Word).
- Demonstrated experience running human subject experiments and protocols,
- Working knowledge of programming (e.g., Python, Matlab, R),
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop/graphic design and/or video editing software.
Commensurate with Experience,
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.