Director of Operations - Baseball
The department of Athletics at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Director of Operations for WVU Baseball.
About the Opportunity
This position performs all administrative functions for the baseball program and assist in the duties related to all aspects of video organization, implementation and maintenance.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Perform all administrative functions for the baseball program as assigned by the Head Baseball Coach and/or his designee.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the baseball office to ensure University, department and NCAA procedures, rules and regulations are executed.
- Serve as liaison between WVU baseball staff and the West Virginia Black Bears minor league baseball staff to coordinate the baseball program's day-to-day use of Monongalia County Ballpark including but not limited to scheduling of practice, games, camps and recruiting events.
- Manage all logistical aspects of on-campus recruiting of prospective student-athletes. Coordinate hotel accommodations, meals, game tickets and game day recruiting functions.
- Administer the daily office purchases, monitoring expenditures and travel expenditures.
- Manage all summer camps and clinics. Responsible for securing all camp sponsors, overseeing camp staff and officials. Responsible for the overall camp budget, including payroll, budget reporting and analysis.
- Arrange, with athletic travel coordinator, all team and recruiting travel arrangements, including air and ground transportation, hotel accommodations and meals.
- Serve as a liaison between baseball staff, in conjunction with others within the department who coordinate activities with other University departments, including Housing and Dining Services and within the athletic department, including game management, sports information, sports publications, sports marketing, business office, ticket office, travel coordinator, facilities manager, maintenance supervisor, field maintenance, equipment manager, compliance, development and academics.
- Administer the annual program banquet including developing the program, administering awards and coordination with dining services.
- Operate various computer programs such as Word, Access, Excel, Groupwise (Email), and Internet Explorer. Perform typing and transcription duties as required. Draft financial, narrative, and/or other reports as requested. Independently compose reports and correspondence. Type letters, memoranda, reports, etc. from handwritten, or other sources. Duties include typing originals and drafts; editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and format; conferring with originator on problem resolution, as required; and making suggestions for improved correspondence content, format, or deletions.
- Prepare and submit travel requisitions and reconciliations for submission to the athletic business office according to athletic department policies and procedures. Resolve problems as they arise. Maintain individual records for staff members review. Serve as source of information for explaining and updating all policies affecting this area.
- Assist in the duties related to the organization, implementation and maintenance of all aspects of the team video and game analysis work in support of the baseball program.
- Responsible for editing and processing opponent and self-scout videotape using game analysis software, including, but not limited to, in-season practice sessions, games, off-season opponent preparation and recruiting material.
- Manage, create and produce statistical data for scouting analysis.
- Report directly to the Head Baseball Coach; must also work closely with other involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Bachelor's Degree is required.
- One (1) year of previous experience in coaching, operations, administration or participation as a collegiate student-athlete. Experience as a graduate assistant is acceptable.
- Strong knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations; computer literate, exceptional organization abilities and strong communication skills.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines , policies, rules and regulations with the ability to interpret, apply, enforce and explain such policies and rules.
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups , i.e. student-athletes, professional representatives , fans, media, donors, University community.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Demonstrated knowledge of effected areas of involvement.
- Ability to make administrative procedural decisions and judgments.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer utilizing various word processing, desk publishing and accounting software and other standard office equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer video software programs.
- Valid driver's license.
- Light physical effort required involving long periods of standing, bending and/or stooping; periodic lifting of moderately heavy items (25-50 lbs).
- Long periods of sitting with extended use of a personal computer and telephone.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: May 9, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes