Program Coordinator - Honors College (Hybrid)
West Virginia University Honors College is currently accepting applications for a Program Coordinator.
About the Opportunity
As a Program Coordinator, you will be part of the Honors College and will assist the Director and Assistant Director with advising students who are pursuing nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships, as well as advising students who are applying to graduate or professional school.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
- (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
75% of the time:
- Recruit and advise students applying for prestigious, nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships through conducting workshops and information sessions, organizing and distributing scholarship information, convening and coordinating with faculty committees, and managing logistical aspects of application processes.
- Assist students who are preparing scholarship and fellowship applications. This includes meeting with students to discuss various scholarships and fellowships, providing feedback on essay and personal statements (when appropriate), and organizing and participating in mock interviews.
- Draft letters of endorsement and scholarship evaluations for review by Director and Assistant Director.
- Specialize in STEM-focused scholarships like the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Udall Scholarship and research other STEM scholarships/fellowships.
- Provide guidance to students preparing for graduate study.
- Develop initiatives to recruit and support underserved students.
- Represent (along with the ASPIRE Director and Assistant Director) the ASPIRE Office to internal and external constituencies.
- Serve on college/university committees as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with units inside WVU, especially the Office of Undergraduate Research, the Pre-Health Professional Development Office, the Honors Foundation Program, the EXCEL Program, and STEM academic departments.
- Assist the Pre-Health Office with the Committee Letter process.
- Maintain records and provide as needed to students, faculty, departments, and administrators.
- Maintain website and social media accounts for the ASPIRE Office.
- Manage ASPIRE email account, including promptly replying to certain emails and forwarding others to the Director and Assistant Director as appropriate.
15% of the time:
- Teach and/or design course curriculum for one Honors course in discipline per semester OR contribute to the scholarly community through writing an article and making one or more presentations (such as at a NAFA conference).
10% of the time:
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required.
- A minimum of two (2)years of experience involving:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate student advising.
- Strong writing/editing, managerial, teaching, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, please visit https://careers.wvu.edu/career-opportunities. Applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae or resume, and contact information for three professional references. Only candidates who submit complete documentation will be considered in the review process. For questions or additional information contact Amy Cyphert, Director Honors ASPIRE Program, firstname.lastname@example.org.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: May 5, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes