Earth Science Instructor(s)
MATTER HERE. Situated on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU provides a learning environment that is accessible and relevant for all learners, celebrates success and acknowledges Indigenous history and traditions.
To be a part of the VIU community is to know what it is like to matter here. We are currently accepting applications for temporary, part-time Earth Science Instructor(s) on our Nanaimo campus.
To teach Earth Science courses in the classroom, online, field, and laboratory during the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 terms. The courses could be shared by multiple candidates, depending on experience. For all course descriptions see our website. Please indicate in your cover letter which courses you are interested in teaching.Applicants interested in teaching only one course are encouraged to apply. For example, GEOL 303 Engineering Geology may be of interest to a registered professional P.Geo or P.Eng. with industry experience.Current Workload Available (16 contact hours/week is Full-Time):Additional work may become available and successful candidates may have the option to add to their workload, if desired.
- GEOL 111: Discovering Planet Earth (6 hours/week)
- Online GEOL 112: Understanding Earth History (6 hours/week)
- GEOL 303: Engineering Geology (6 hours/week)
- Online GEOL 111: Discovering Planet Earth (6 hours/week)
- GEOL 201: Sedimentology and Stratigraphy (6 hours/week)
- GEOL 206: Geological Field Methods and Mapping (co-taught over 10 days in field setting, April-May 2023, with workload allocation to be determined based on the assembled team).
Candidates must demonstrate commitment to teaching, learning and student success through scholarship and institutional service. Successful candidates will participate in a wide range of activities outside the classroom, including student support; institutional, faculty and departmental committee meetings and other initiatives; and professional activities in keeping with their disciplines in and outside the institution.
MSc in Earth Science or equivalent.
If this is the next step in your professional career, please submit your application online. Posting will be open until filled.
VIU is pleased to offer employees a comprehensive benefit plan; ample paid holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan that takes the worry out of retirement. As part of the VIU campus community, our employees work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and are provided with the tools and training that promote learning and development. The perks of VIU employment are multiple, and include well-being initiatives and services, strategic discounts and hybrid work opportunities.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for faculty, staff, and students. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the VIU community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.