MATTER HERE. Situated on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU provides a learning environment that is accessible and relevant for all learners, celebrates success and acknowledges Indigenous history and traditions.
To be a part of the VIU community is to know what it is like to matter here. We are currently accepting applications for regular, full-time Engineering Technician on our Nanaimo campus.
- Support the studio component of Engineering Transfer and Engineering Technologist curriculum including: Set up and take down of equipment, Coordinate the printing and distribution of the studio manuals, Prepare materials required for studio, Check equipment for proper operational condition.
- Assist in the instruction of students in laboratory techniques, and the use of instruments and equipment.
- Work with instructional faculty to develop, test, and improve new lab experiments and studio projects, and obtain course and project materials.
- Manage and support safe access to the rapid prototyping facility, computer aided drafting lab, and machine shop for students, faculty (both within and outside the department), and external users.
- Maintain a broadly accessible and up-to-date inventory of: Hazardous material and SDS sheets, Studio equipment and supplies, Equipment supporting instructional demonstration, displays, and supplies, Reference materials, equipment manuals, and supply catalogues.
- Coordinate loans to and returns from students and faculty including faculty from other departments.
- Maintain quality and effective functioning of all equipment used in the Engineering Transfer and Engineering Technologist Programs including the CAD studio and fabrication facilities.
- Facilitate the purchase and installation of Engineering Transfer and Engineering Technologist Program related software.
- Prepare, submit, and monitor purchase orders related to the Engineering Transfer and Engineering Technologist programs.
- Assist with student projects.
- Primary driver for student field trip activities, including scheduling, pick-up and drop-off of VIU vehicles.
- Assist with the on-going development of the Engineering Technologist program and future programs including participating in planning meetings and contributing educational and professional experiences to enrich and develop current and future engineering programs.
- Maintain a working relationship with the Information Technology Client Support Department.
- Civil, Mechanical (or related) Engineering Technologist credential (B.A.Sc. or B.Eng. in a relevant engineering field, with a P.L.Eng will also be considered).
- 5 yrs+ of industry experience.
- Previous experience with and, demonstrated ability for research, technical, and studio/laboratory work.
- Ability to work independently, as well as interact with students and faculty in a facilitative manner.
- Experience in the construction and repair of a wide range of civil, mechanical, electrical, and electronic tools and equipment.
- Demonstrated background in use and repair of rapid prototyping tools e.g. 3D Printers, CNC machines. Basic machining skills would be considered an asset.
- Training and experience in computer hardware and software.
- Demonstrated success as an effective team member.
- Have or be willing to obtain a Class 4 BC Driver's License; and a confirmed satisfactory driving record (as specified in Vancouver Island University policy and procedures.) *
- Have or be willing to obtain Level 1 or higher First Aid training. *
*Must be obtained within the first year of employment.
If this is the next step in your professional career, please submit your application online. Posting will be open until filled.
VIU is pleased to offer employees a comprehensive benefit plan; ample paid holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan that takes the worry out of retirement. As part of the VIU campus community, our employees work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and are provided with the tools and training that promote learning and development. The perks of VIU employment are multiple, and include well-being initiatives and services, strategic discounts and hybrid work opportunities.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for faculty, staff, and students. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the VIU community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.