Financial Staff Accountant
Perform monthly general ledger account reconciliations as assigned, general ledger entry uploads and manual entries, miscellaneous deposits, fixed assets, financial analysis and reports as required for UM, including NCAA general accounting and reporting.
1. General Ledger account reconciliations as assigned by Accounting Director and/or CFO/Treasurer.
2. Prepare and file State, County, City Sales and Lodging tax returns.
3. General ledger journal uploads, including AMEX, Purchasing/Travel Cards, internal requisitions, etc.
4. Maintenance and reconciliations of all Prepaids, Operating Leases, Special invoices, and Foundation Scholarships.
5. Assist with development of accounting internal control procedures.
6. Prepare financial and compliance audit schedules as needed, including NCAA annual reports and audits assistance.
7. Process AP and Payroll ACH, checks, bank uploads, and related internal control procedures.
8. Process ACH payments and returns to UM.
9. UM Fixed Assets – tag, report, reconcile, and audit procedures.
10. Payroll payable/employee benefits journals, processing, and reconciliations.
11. Process bank cleared checks and bank notifications daily.
12. Prepare, mail, and process letters for stale checks.
13. Prepare, file, and maintain UM unclaimed property files.
14. Reconcile UM cash and investment bank accounts.
15. Reconcile UM asset and liability GL accounts as assigned.
16. Process voided checks and stop payments.
17. Provide assistance in athletic and auxiliary accounting as needed.
18. Daily miscellaneous deposits.
19. Community School of Music tuition payment schedules.
20. Provide backup as needed for AP Specialist position, and assist Senior Accounting staff in other projects and duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess the skills, knowledge and abilities for significant accounting responsibility.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff with differing technical abilities.
- Knowledge of auditing procedures and accounting principles.
- Ability to prepare accurate accounting General Ledger reconciliations and analysis.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Accounting software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
3 years of accounting experience.