Perform all UM Grant post-award accounting, reporting, and compliance functions for all federal, state, outside agency, and institutional grants. Responsible for annual Federal OMB Uniform Guidance audit reporting. Must maintain a working knowledge of University, Federal, State, and funding agency policies and procedures and must maintain substantial working knowledge of Uniform Guidance (UG), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
1. Perform grant-related post award functions for all federal, state, local, outside agency and institutional grants, including expense analysis, periodic invoicing, financial reporting, accounting, labor distribution changes, assistance as needed in developing grant budgets, and associated communications with principal investigators, project directors, or customers;
2. Perform grant closeout functions required by each federal, state, local, outside agency and institutional grant contract administration and sponsors including reconciliations, financial status reports, final invoices, final accounting reporting, and work with UM purchasing for any purchase order liquidations; review general ledger transactions to ensure accuracy and complete journal entries as required;
3. Provide training, instruction, and guidance to campus partners regarding sponsored programs policies and procedures; interpreting University, Federal, State, and funding agency policies and procedures for the assigned awards and/or contracts.
4. Maintain knowledge of all grant regulatory compliance requirements;
5. Assist with annual Uniform Guidance audit for Federal grant programs;
6. Assist with grant proposal budget analysis and schedules as needed;
7. Access needs and resolves issues of the principal investigator or project directors related to grant accounting; perform analysis and support for projects;
8. Interpret and analyze University accounting data for compliance according to the approved budget and all applicable policies and guidelines (i.s. University, Federal, State, funding agency);
9. Facilitate, prepare and submit required interim and final financial reports.
Provide backup as needed to assist CFO/Treasurer or other Accounting staff in other projects and duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess the skills, knowledge and abilities for significant accounting responsibility and federal, state, local, institutional, or outside agency grant compliance as required by OMB.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff with differing technical abilities.
- Knowledge of auditing procedures and accounting principles.
- Ability to prepare accurate accounting General Ledger reconciliations and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Banner, Excel, and Microsoft office software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.3-5 years of professional accounting experience.
Experience in Higher Education environment strongly preferred.