Program Director, Center for Career Development - College of Business & Economics (Hybrid)
The Center for Career Development within the John Chambers College of Business and Economics (B&E) at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Program Director.
The Assistant Director of Employer Relations will spearhead the Chambers College's employer relations activities. This role will serve as the primary point of contact for employers hiring talent out of the Chambers College and will play a pivotal role in cultivating short and long-term industrial partnerships. The incumbent will provide exceptional inbound and outbound customer service to alumni and employers engaging with the College. This role will leverage the support of external constituents to build capacity for strategic initiatives, such as the Career Studio and Career Closet. Additionally, they will coach a subset of students and alumni, build internal partnerships with faculty that open the doors for employer and alumni involvement in the classroom, and more.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- In collaboration with the director, develop and execute strategies to fund strategic priorities of the unit through alumni giving and corporate sponsorships, such as the Career Studio, Career Closet, student experience trips, etc.
- Lead, design, and execute the CCD's comprehensive employer relations strategy.
- Manage full-cycle relationships with a portfolio of employer partners.
- Organize site visits, on-campus partnership meetings, interviews, and career development events (networking receptions, career fairs, classroom presentations, etc.).
- Identify and contact new employers based on student interest, curriculum alignment, and faculty research areas.
- Solicit direct feedback from employers relative to their ideal candidate qualifications and the quality of student preparedness and areas in need of improvement.
- Connect students with alumni/employers willing to serve as ad hoc career coaches or mentors.
Marketing and Events:
- Develop and execute strategy around career fairs and events in partnership with central Career Services and Corporate Relations.
- Organize on campus for interviews, and faculty and employer lunches, etc.
- Manage employer branding and alumni engagement activities, such as resume reviews, mock interviews, indsutry exploration days, etc.
- Build rapport with alumni; uncover their passions and values to design personalized engagement recommendations.
- Develop and execute alumni engagement strategies, such as classroom presentations, lecture series, career coaching and mentoring students and alumni, and creating talent pipelines to various organizations.
Career Coaching/Career Development:
- Coach a subset of students and alumni regarding career decision-making, experiential learning opportunities, full-time professional job search strategies, graduate/professional school, and career/life planning.
- Develop mutually beneficial partnerships with internal leadership, faculty within assigned SME areas, and relevant student organizations.
- Identify and connect with alumni and prospective employers to increase the diversity of employer recruiting from targeted employers.
- Create a continuous communication loop with all CCD team members and employers to ensure the guidance and advice they provide reflects ever-changing industry demands.
- Benchmark with peer institutions to obtain new and effective ways to deliver career and professional development advice.
- Bachelor's Degree in business management, human resources, marketing, or related field; Master's Degree preferred.
- 3 years of experience with the following:
- Alumni relations, fundraising, higher ed administration, or human resources
- Program/project management/implementation of new initiatives
- Innovative, strategic, and throughfall leadership
- Cultivates positive relationships across diverse professional consistencies
- Self-motivated; independently solves complex, time-sensitive problems
- Knowledge of career development theories
- Confidentiality and professionalism with respect to sensitive student information
- Exceptional customer service orientation
- Valid Driver's License
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: May 4, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes