Veterinary Clinical Pathologist
Posting Number: req9921
Department: AZ Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Location: Tucson Area Farms
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (AZ VDL) at the University of Arizona is in search of a Veterinary Clinical Pathologist (Pathologist IV).
AZ VDL provides accurate and timely diagnostic assistance in animal health to veterinarians, animal owners, university researchers, and state and federal agencies. The submission of specimens through practicing veterinarians is encouraged, but specimens are also accepted from owners. The Arizona VDL works closely with the office of the State Veterinarian, USDA AVIC, Arizona Game and Fish Department, and other state and federal agencies. This laboratory serves a diverse client base with submissions from wild animals, zoo animals, pet animals, horses, and food-producing animals. The VDL also works closely with the University of Arizona College of Veterinary Medicine providing pathology training for students.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & responsibilities:
- Conduct clinical pathology and cytology examinations of submitted samples and interpret the results in the context of other laboratory results.
- Oversee the clinical pathology laboratory section at the AZVDL providing scientific expertise in laboratory standard operating procedures, assay development, equipment procurement and maintenance, etc. Directly supervise 1 to 3 laboratory technicians.
- Participate in the instruction of senior veterinary medical students in the conduct clinical pathology and cytology during diagnostic pathology pre-clinical and clinical rotations.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills, & abilities:
- Proficient in all aspects of diagnostic clinical pathology at the entry to mid-career level.
- Leadership and management skills or potential.
- DVM/VMD and advanced training in veterinary clinical
- 8 years of relevant training and/or experience which may
include veterinary education and residency training.
- Board eligibility or board certification in veterinary pathology (ACVP or ECVP diplomate).
- Previous experience working in a diagnostic laboratory setting.
- Experience teaching undergraduate and professional students.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Veterinary and Animal Care
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Veterinary & Animal Care
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.