Statistician, BIO5 Institute (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req9864
Department: BIO5 Institute
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
BIO5 Institute at the University is in search of 2 (two) Statisticians, BIO5 Institute (Biostatistician II) to join their dynamic team. The primary duties of this position are to partner with The University of Arizona investigators on a variety of translational, clinical, and population-based research studies to provide data management, statistical expertise, and computing. Activities include statistical study design and analysis, interpretation of results, and communicating results to non-statistical researchers. Data management activities include building cohorts from national/international data repositories, integrating multiple data streams to produce structured databases, and building data visualization tools for biomedical end-users. The successful candidate will be expected to work collaboratively with University of Arizona investigators on a variety translational, clinical, and population-based research studies. This position requires outstanding oral and written communication skills, self-direction, and the potential to direct activities of assigned support staff. This position also requires strong computing skills and the ability to work with high-dimensional omics data using methods of reproducible research and statistical analysis software (e.g., R, knitr, Shiny).
* Remote, Arizona work-from-home option available.
The BIO5 Institute connects and mobilizes hundreds of world-class plant, animal, and human bioscientists, engineers, physicians, and computational researchers to develop creative solutions for complex challenges such as disease, hunger, water and food safety, and other health issues facing Arizona.This interdisciplinary approach has resulted in improved food crops, innovative diagnostics and devices, disease prevention strategies, and promising new therapies.
BIO5 initiatives and projects are carefully chosen to align with areas of state and national need and for which University of Arizona faculty already have significant expertise. This strategy catalyzes the capacity to expand impact, economic opportunity and external funding opportunities.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & responsibilities:
- Collaborate with researchers in the analysis, interpretation, and presentation of research studies. These may include designed experiments, observational studies, clinical trials, population-based epidemiologic studies, and laboratory investigations.
- Provide data management, statistical expertise, and statistical computing for projects
- Combine data from multiple sources, possibly from large repositories, for subsequent analyses
- Adapt modern statistical methods to address emergent problems in support of research projects
- Function as a part of a statistical team that may include PhD and MS statisticians.
- Additional duties may be assigned
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Ability to work with high-dimensional omics data using methods of reproducible research
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software (e.g., R, knitr, Shiny).
- Strong computing skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Master's Degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, or related field required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Expertise using statistical analysis software
- Experience with design and use of data structures or databases
- Experience with reproducible programming methods (markdown or Jupyter notebooks) in R or python
- Collaborative experience with biological scientists or physicians
- Experience designing user interfaces from databases (e.g., REDCap API) and data visualization (e.g., R Shiny and R Dashboard)
- Background in biology or omics computing
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $48,786 - $65,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research & Data Analysis
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.