Senior Product Manager (Financial Services)
Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-010122Location: Home Office
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
The Senior Product Manager position at WGU is an individual contributor role for experienced product individuals who are passionate about delighting users while delivering value to the business. You will collaborate with a cross-functional team and product peers to develop strategic product roadmaps that ensure a holistic end-to-end user experience. You will build business cases, articulate strategy, and evangelize the product vision to stakeholders and cross-functional team members. You will measure and report on the efficacy of your initiatives and develop action plans accordingly. You will make hard, high-stakes trade-offs between features, choosing those that are most likely to ensure that both business goals and user needs are met.
We look for candidates who can demonstrate a history of delivering outcomes through a partnership with design, engineering and the business. Someone who, as an excellent storyteller, can represent the interests of the users they serve and influence teams to generate the outcomes that resolve their most pressing problems. We look for candidates who are collaborative by nature, empathetic to users, and are most likely to garner the trust of the stakeholders they serve.
This position will close internally on 5/12/22.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Works closely with cross functional team of stakeholders, end-users, engineers, UX designers and product leaders to understand the problems to solve, inform the product vision and define requirements
- Works towards creating shared outcomes with multiple teams to deliver impact for customers
- Defines product release strategies, ensuring the readiness of the various business partners
- Becomes the expert for their product, demonstrating mastery of the current platform with an understanding of gaps that inform their near-term product roadmap and contribute to long-term strategy
- Manages expectations by understanding when initiatives are at risk and proactively communicating with stakeholders
- Participates and presents in quarterly planning activities
- Ensures product quality by testing software features to ensure they satisfy the acceptance criteria and work with stakeholders and end users to coordinate user acceptance testing activities
- Builds mentorship relationships and initiates guidance of newer Product Managers
- Leads research efforts to distill clarity from ambiguity and develops data collection strategies that identify the right outcomes for measuring success
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Understands the landscape of problems and quickly zeros in on the best strategy to achieve business outcomes
- Excellent Storyteller
- Demonstrates expertise in a variety of product discovery techniques
- Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first solution proposed
- Makes choices about priorities that clearly demonstrate an understanding of the business goals, market demand and user needs
- Ability to measure product health and use data to inform prioritization decisions, to ensure product quality and service levels, and meet defined goals and success metrics
- Inspires new ways of working and product practice techniques
- Can effectively cope with change and can shift gears comfortably
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within the department, function, or office.
- Performs work as directed with limited oversight.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Is responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees in the department, Function, or Office. Responsible for managing projects involving delegation of work and review of others' work products.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 5+ years of experience with a bachelor's degree, or 3+ years and a master's degree, or a doctorate or terminal degree without experience.
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience working as a software Product Manager
- Experience working in Agile environments
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong passion for exploring and understanding customer needs
- Natural leadership instincts, with a positive team building approach
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in Education technology
- Financial services experience (grants, scholarships, loans)
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.