Faculty - Psychology (Tenure Track)
Shoreline Community College
Shoreline Community College
Salary: See Position Description
Job Number: 00749
Location: 16101 Greenwood Ave N Shoreline WA 98133, WA
Department: Social Sciences & Business
Date of First Consideration: February 28, 2022
Salary Range: $51,378- $73,660 dependent upon education/experience
Shoreline Community College is dedicated to inclusive excellence in teaching and learning, student success, and community engagement. Shoreline serves the educational, workforce, and cultural needs of our diverse students and communities through the core themes of educational attainment and student success, program excellence, community engagement, access and diversity, and College stewardship. Shoreline Community College is a place of open inquiry and learning, with a campus that models ideals set out in our Community Standard*. We are committed to upholding a culture of free expression, as well as maintaining a supportive and respectful learning and working environments for all.
Psychology faculty will be responsible for teaching college-level psychology courses to 100-level and 200-level students, many with a goal of transferring to a university. Some of these students will be enrolled in Honors College courses, some may have a goal of general academic exploration, and some will be on path for advanced psychology learning. The teaching assignments may include courses in introduction to psychology, biopsychology, or lifespan. There will also be curriculum and assessment with a focus on learning of research methods as well as pathways for students to publicly present their research and learning. A portion of the teaching assignment may be in the evening program, online and in-person/hybrid modalities on the college campus. Finally, there maybe be opportunity for interdisciplinary and team-taught teaching through the college's GIG (Get-In-Gear) model, or collaboration and teaching within the Honors College.
In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will advise students, assist with assessment of current instructional methods, develop programs and curricula, and participate in Shoreline governance, department, division and campus-related professional activities.
Faculty at Shoreline will have an array of students from differing programs in their classroom, including professional technical and university transfers. Shoreline seeks a candidate that can identify and mitigate the barriers to success that many students face, and be passionate about creating an equitable learning environment that supports success for all students. As such, candidate response to the supplemental questions below will be the first criteria of consideration.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Masters' degree in Psychology or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Experience teaching in a higher education environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs, learning management systems, and other appropriate instructional technologies
- Principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) as they apply to teaching, student support, and curriculum development
- Adult Learner Theory and Universal Design for Learning
- Multicultural Psychology, Death and Dying, Abnormal, Drugs and Behavior, and Social Psychology.
- Fostering a climate of equity and belonging through multicultural awareness and responsiveness
- Imparting excitement and enthusiasm into the instruction of Psychology
- Experience with teaching, developing coursework online, and ability to use emerging technologies
- Effective oral/written communication with individuals at all levels inside and outside the College
- Adapting to a variety of teaching situations with students from diverse backgrounds/abilities
- Developing/modifying curriculum both collaboratively and independently
- Working and interacting effectively with colleagues, staff, students, administrators, and others of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Connecting students to campus resources and support systems as appropriate
- Effective classroom management, including facilitating/navigating challenging conversations
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The College is currently in mixed remote operations environment, with some assignments completed in a fully online environment during this time. For remote (online) instruction, faculty will need to provide their own workspace and internet access, noting the College will provide technical equipment and support for online work needs. For on-campus in-person instruction, work is usually performed in a classroom/office space that requires standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time. Faculty typically use computers and media equipment in the work environment.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT/SALARY:
This is a full-time, tenure track position, with a 172-day annual contract beginning September 22, 2022. Salary placement determined by the number of qualifying years of teaching/work experience combined with educational preparation. Hiring of this position is contingent upon available funding as determined by the College President.
Persons with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation in all aspects of employment with the College. This includes, but is not limited to recruitment, application, hiring, training, termination, conditions of employment, and any other employer-supported activities. Applicants requesting accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
- This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the Associated Federation of Teachers Local #1950.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
- In addition, employment for this position requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination status or documentation of eligibility for a religious or medical exemption as of October 18, 2021 forward.
- Other conditions that may apply will be detailed upon offer of employment.
- This position is overtime-exempt.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- NEOGOV online application/profile
- Letter of interest addressing how you meet each of the qualifications
- Current resume
- Audio response to DEI requested examples via https://vocaroo.com/
- Written response to Discipline Supplemental Question
- Transcripts documenting degrees earned and relevant coursework (official required upon hire)
- Using the website at https://vocaroo.com/, create your verbal response to the questions listed below.
- Download the recording to your desktop as an MPEG Audio, titled as "LastName-DEIResponse-PositionTitle"
- Please ensure your recording is 10 minutes or less in length.
- Please ensure you fully address all bulleted requested examples listed below.
- Email the saved recording to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4pm on February 28, 2022.
- Examples of your experience integrating culturally relevant and inclusive resources within assigned pedagogy
- Examples of your experience addressing instructional barriers to educational success for marginalized students
- Examples of your experience supporting diversity, equity, and belonging among employees or students in a higher education environment
Please Note: Once application materials have been submitted, you may not modify the application.
*Community Standard Statement"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly ..." -- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Shoreline Community College is a place for students, employees, and the community to pursue excellence in education in an environment dedicated to equity, inclusiveness, and self-reflection. We value respectful, dynamic interactions and lively discussion. We strive to create an environment where everyone is supported and valued. Shoreline Community College does not tolerate hateful, violent, or discriminatory actions that target any person or group based on their beliefs, customs, identity, or affiliations. When one of us is diminished, all of us are diminished.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/shorelinecc/jobs/3384768/faculty-psychology-tenure-track