Retail and Sales Manager V (Executive Director) (Bookstore)
Posting Number: req8337
Department: The UofA BookStores
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The University of Arizona Business Affairs team seeks an entrepreneurial leader skilled in financial, operational, and people management to serve as the steward of our university retail enterprise. The Executive Director for the UA BookStores will ensure the best-in-industry delivery of course materials and that students, visitors, alumni, and employees continue to find the retail enterprise an unparalleled, destination experience - one which deepens their relationship with the University of Arizona.
Under the guidance of the Vice President for Facilities, Operations, & Campus Planning, you will be responsible for steering the team at the BookStores. You will work with university partners, students, and leaders at all levels to develop, implement, and improve programs and services within the BookStores that best advance our collective research, education, and land-grant missions - while maximizing all business opportunities.
The ideal candidate is collaborative, fiscally responsible, empowers others, champions continuous improvement, and is innovative.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
The University of Arizona BookStores is known
within our community and among our higher education peers as the exemplar for
innovation, passion, and a devotion to service - and how we use those
characteristics to enhance our success. An independent college store with $23M
(and growing) in annual sales, we are proud to partner with numerous faculty,
departments, and student groups to continually find new ways to provide our
students access to the tools and materials they need to succeed. We give back,
at an industry-leading rate, to our community through broad academic and
student-centric initiatives, and through direct financial contributions. And we
serve as one of the primary gateways for potential and incoming students and
their families - along with being an ongoing connection point for our
UA Bookstores Highlights
- Data sourced from a 2020 survey of the top 100 independent college bookstores in North America
- #1 in digital course material sales (both total, and as a percentage of total course material sales) and with the lowest average digital course material unit price
- 4th in financial contributions to our university as a percentage of sales
- Top 10 for insignia product sales and emblematic apparel, souvenir, and gift sales + in the GMROI for insignia product
- Top 5 in total sales generated through our online store
- #1 in total insignia product sales through our online store
- Top 10 for net income ratio
- 2nd in GMROI
- Top 10 for EBITDA
Executive Director Primary
- Direct the business, financial and operational functions of the University of Arizona BookStores
- Develop strategic initiatives that integrate with the University's overall strategic plan
- Provide thoughtful, caring leadership and support to all staff
- Enable the implementation of course material affordability initiatives on campus
- Grow revenue, increase profit, and deliver an ever-improving customer experience
- Empower the proliferation of innovative technology that ensures the UA BookStores meet our customers' needs and expectations, current and future
- Create and foster strategic partnerships with University departments that will create new opportunities for growth at the UA Bookstores.
- Facilitate and support a culture of service excellence and continual improvement
- In collaboration with the Vice President, design, recommend, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing plan to effectively accomplish the University of Arizona BookStores' goals and objectives
- Provide guidance and leadership to ensure that staff have the resources and training to perform their duties at the highest levels and to support career development
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skilled in financial
- Skilled in
communicating with diverse audiences
- Skilled in
navigating with emotional intelligence
- Skilled in
navigating complex and matrixed organizations
- Skilled in public
speaking and written communication
- Knowledge of market
- Knowledge of
industry trends, standards, and innovations
- Ability to build
consensus and inspire others
- Bachelor's degree and 11 years of related work experience, including 7 years of managerial experience, or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education. Related work experience can be from private sector and/or higher education.
- Experience negotiating, implementing and managing business contracts, agreements, and development strategies.
- Experience and success in growing and managing a high-sales volume organization.
- Strong financial background with profit generation, inventory, and expense control.
- Related experience beyond 11 years or education beyond a Bachelor's degree.
- Experience managing higher education campus retail or bookstore enterprises.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40+
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $125,000-$145,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: No Documents
Special Instructions to Applicant
All applications, nominations, and inquiries are invited. Applications should include, as separate documents, a CV or resume and a letter of interest addressing the themes in this profile, with a particular focus on supporting and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion. Another Source is assisting the University of Arizona in this search. For fullest consideration, candidate materials should be received by February 4, 2022.
Application materials should be submitted using Another Source's candidate portal by clicking on the following link: https://careers-anothersource.icims.com/jobs/100442/executive-director-u-of-a-bookstores-retail/job.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.