Admissions Counselor - Office of Undergraduate Admissions (157949)
Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor in the -----Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This position is a 100% full time, twelve month, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Admissions Counselor/Senior Admissions Counselor will serve as a representative of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to counsel and advise prospective students, their families, and high school and community college partners through the undergraduate admission and enrollment process. In addition, this position will evaluate applications for admission and assist with all outreach efforts as assigned.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the Illinois undergraduate admissions office in assigned regions and create and implement recruitment and outreach plans for those areas. Develop comprehensive plans for travel and outreach based on Illinois' strategy of recruiting a highly diverse and talented applicant pool.
- Counsel, provide information and advice about Illinois generally, and about its admissions procedures specifically, to domestic and international prospective students, applicants, their parents, and secondary school guidance counselors in a prompt, professional and courteous manner.
- Reach out and encourage prospective students and admitted students to explore and eventually matriculate at Illinois through staffing on-campus programs, scheduling personal visits to secondary schools, attending college fair programs, and engaging in correspondence, email, and/or telephone contact.
- Engage with professional organizations relevant to assigned duties and territory.
- Read and evaluate admissions applications. Apply discretion and independent judgment in evaluating and comparing applications and gathering information in preparation for admission consideration and make admissions decisions based on the campus enrollment goals.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of communication campaigns, social media engagement, search committees, and other on-campus committees.
- Assist with operations functions including, but not limited to transcript verification, course articulation, processing, and notification of admissions decisions.
- Assist with other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
Rotating Collateral Assignment *one of the following assignments will be given each year*
- Assist with organizing and implementing the Campus Resource Fair for both Illini Days and New Student Registration.
- Assist the New Student Registration Coordinator with data entry.
- Assist the Coordinator of Campus Visits with hiring, training, and development of our ISTARs.
- Assist with hiring, training, and development of the Global Ambassador program.
- Assist with international emails and phone calls and serve as a resource for the Counseling unit.
- Serve on international application review committees.
- Assist with planning and coordinate off-campus programs to educate students on their college options.
- Implement programs for specialized populations (i.e., Underrepresented Populations)
- Assist the CRM (Slate) Coordinator with building queries and reports.
- Assist in updating snippets in CRM (Slate).
- Assist with the planning and coordination of on-campus programs for specialized populations (i.e. Underrepresented Populations).
- Assist with the planning and coordination of programs for school counselors, community college partners, and other programs as assigned.
- Plan and coordinate Transfer specific visit programs.
- Attend State University Transfer Days, community college visits, transfer fairs, and other transfer-related visit programs.
- Counsel, provide information and advice about Illinois generally, and about its admissions procedures specifically, to potential transfer students, applicants, their parents, community college partners, secondary school guidance counselors in a prompt, professional and courteous manner.
Required Education, experience, and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- One year of relevant experience.
- Two years of collegiate admissions experience (Senior position only)
- Experience presenting to diverse groups.
- Proven customer service experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Banner and CRM (Slate) systems (Senior position only)
Preferred education, experience, and qualifications:
- Master's degree
- Two years of collegiate admissions experience.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Two or more years of direct work in collegiate Undergraduate Admissions. (Senior position only)
- Experience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or a similar higher education institution. (Senior position only)
Successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Valid driver's license
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Dynamic personality.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Understanding and commitment to affirmative action in educational access and employment.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by February 1, 2022. All candidates must create a profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Interviews may begin prior to close of the search, but a hiring decision will not be made until after the close of the search. Start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.