Assistant or Associate Professor of Biochemistry
The University of Pikeville (UPIKE) is seeking a full-time, nine-month faculty appointment in the field of biochemistry starting August 2022. Rank and salary will be based on qualifications. A Ph.D. in Biochemistry is required.
This is a unique opportunity to join a growing program in biomedical science. The University houses the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Kentucky College of Optometry which, in addition to other regional partners, collaborate to support excellence in undergraduate medical science education. We are looking for applicants who demonstrate subject matter expertise, mentoring and teaching abilities at the undergraduate level, and collaboration skills. The successful candidate will teach biochemistry, develop and teach biochemistry laboratory courses, and participate in teaching lower division Chemistry courses for majors and non-majors. Preference will be given to candidates who can also teach organic chemistry.
- Create and maintain an environment that is conducive to innovative teaching and active learning.
- Emphasize broadly trained skills and a strong passion for excellence in teaching, service, and scholarship.
- Develop, communicate, and fulfill effective course learning outcomes.
- Teach courses utilizing no-cost course materials and Open Educational Resources (OERs).
- Compose and publish syllabi containing the items listed in the approved syllabus rubric.
- Teaching course for both majors and non-majors.
- Advising students, providing service to the University community, assisting with divisional activities, and continuing scholarly growth and development.
- Ability to instruct classes using face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online modalities.
- Establish mutual respect with students through effective and timely communication including expectations, deadlines, and feedback on work completed.
- Maintain good working relationships with faculty and administration in all academic and non-academic sectors.
- Communicate effectively with constituents within the University, surrounding community, and State regarding the University.
- Utilize the Learning Management System (LMS) to support classroom instruction.
- A doctorate in biochemistry or closely-related field is required, and undergraduate teaching experience is preferred.
- Applicants with ABD status and within one year of completion will also be considered.
Relationships: Position requires daily contact with co-workers, supervisor, students, faculty, and staff in order to disseminate necessary information and coordinate for daily operations. These relationships are maintained through person-to-person contact, phone, e-mail, and fax.
The University of Pikeville offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, telemedicine, long-term disability, tuition waivers, a 403(b)-retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, and dependent care accounts.
Important Notes: Resume and other application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications in your resume and application materials. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Pikeville is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
The University of Pikeville is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. The University of Pikeville does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age or disabilities in its programs, activities, hiring, or the admission of students.
For more information about the University of Pikeville, please visit https://www.upike.edu. Interested applicants should complete the online application by visiting http://jobs.upike.edu. In addition to the application, interested applicants are requested to attach to their application a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, copies of their transcripts, a teaching philosophy statement, and the contact information for three to five professional references.Department: College of Arts and Sciences
Employment Type: Full-Time (40 hours)