Major Gifts Officer
*Two Open Positions
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the development, implementation and execution of plans, strategies and initiatives to support the Office of University Advancement's major gifts program, with an emphasis on gifts of $25,000 or more, in accordance with the University's funding priorities and under the direction of the Vice President for University Advancement & Marketing. Program implementation includes the research, identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift donors and prospects, including individuals, corporations and foundations. The Major Gifts Officer works collaboratively with members of the Advancement team and University faculty, staff and students, in all activities that advance the mission and vision of Ohio Dominican University.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of up to 150 major gift donors through the giving cycle including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Proactively seek opportunities personally to generate new proposals based on donor interests and university priorities.
- Communicate a strong and consistent message about the University to its constituencies, strengthen internal and external partnerships to benefit Ohio Dominican University, and participate in various campaign and giving initiatives.
- Develop knowledge of and articulate the mission of Ohio Dominican University, its various academic programs, and fundraising objectives to prospects and donors.
- Raise funds for capital projects, academic programs, scholarships, professorships, and endowments in accordance with the University's mission and vision, annual fundraising goals, and under the direction of the Vice President for University Advancement & Marketing.
- Conduct in-person visits regularly with donors and prospects for the purposes of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Help to identify donors to engage and highlight in various marketing and advancement emails, appeals, and other printed and digital publications.
- Build and maintain a pool of major gift prospects (individuals, corporations and foundations) through research and assessment of their giving potential and interest in, and/or connection to, Ohio Dominican University.
- Evaluate prospective corporations and foundations to ensure that their philanthropic missions match the mission of Ohio Dominican University.
- Collaborate with the Grant Writer as necessary regarding any related fundraising priorities or needs.
- Represent the Advancement Office at University, community and professional events, meetings, conferences, etc.
- Submit progress reports and attend staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three years professional experience in fundraising, or related experience in client development and/or project management for communications, marketing, market research, sales, public relations or related fields.
- Minimum of three years' experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in higher education.
- Demonstrated success in raising major gifts, in excess of $25,000 or more, and building the donor base.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization; handle multiple complex fundraising activities simultaneously; implement best practices in fundraising; and handle sensitive and confidential matters with appropriate discretion.
- Continuing education in philanthropy, specifically major gift fundraising, and membership in CASE and/or AFP.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. It is, instead, a description of the essential elements of the position.
Ohio Dominican University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, as we respect and seek to empower each individual and support the various cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.