Human Resources Generalist II
Posting Number: req8350
Department: School of Plant Sciences-Res
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The School of Plant Sciences seeks a highly qualified Human Resources Generalist II (Human Resources Coordinator) to lead and provide advice, coordination, and oversight in a broad scope of human resources services and issues.
This position requires exceptional attention to detail, proven ability to problem-solve, demonstrated ability to build upon prior knowledge, sensitivity in maintaining confidential information, and the ability to effectively assess, prioritize, and respond to the needs of the School of Plant Sciences. The successful candidate will foster effective working relationships with faculty, staff, college level colleagues, departments around campus, and University administrative support units including the UA Budget Office, Workforce Systems, and centralized Human Resources. The selected applicant will serve as a team lead within the business office staff and report directly to the Manager of Finance and Administration.
The School of Plant Sciences is a vigorous, cutting-edge, and comprehensive academic unit of the University of Arizona, whose scientists are devoted to the study of plants, the organisms that underpin the survival of terrestrial life. The School, which has a record of excellence in innovative plant and microbial biology and applied plant sciences (including Cooperative Extension), offers instruction and training focused on enhancing agricultural productivity, improving human and environmental health, and developing innovative solutions that expedite progress in these areas.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assumes a lead role, in coordination with employee's supervisor and the business office, in the new hire and continued employment processes:
- Assess hiring needs and communicate recommendations on employment types.
- Establish and communicate realistic processing deadlines/time frames for job change transactions, new hires, and other transactions that require college-level or external review.
- Submit appropriate personnel documents and online transactions, including but not limited to: new hires, designated campus colleagues, supplemental compensation, job changes, terminations and non-renewals, sabbaticals, payment requests, employment end date changes, I-9 processing, etc.
- Develop job descriptions, recruitment plans, and input job postings into the university system and post job advertisements.
- Advise search committees to ensure all aspects of the process are fair and unbiased and in compliance with Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity laws, and UA search procedures, and may serve on committee, as needed.
- Lead new faculty and staff on-boarding process; serve as a point of contact for trouble-shooting during all steps of the hiring process and serve as a liaison to put new employees in contact with appropriate offices as needed.
- Coordinate with financial accountants to verify continued funding for all employment classification and other personnel changes and completion of annual rollover.
- Prepare visa application packets for J-1 Exchange Visitors/Visiting Scholars and H-1B employees with new and renewal process. Track Visa expiration dates and assist Visa holders in the extension process on all Visa types.
- Handle leave management requests.
- Coordinates annual performance review completion.
Payroll and Time Coordination:
- Monitor bi-weekly payroll including time coordinator communications to supervisors/time approvers.
- Ensure payroll activity has posted and was expensed correctly.
- Records management retention.
- Keep informed of, interpret, and apply pertinent rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by University and external agencies. Provide updates to staff and/or faculty regarding changes to UA policies and procedures.
- Participate in Central HR training, College level workgroups, and professional development activities.
- Handle employee relations in collaboration with College and central Human Resources as needed.
- Serve as point of contact for payroll, hiring, and human resources-related questions and problem resolution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze complex HR issues and develop a path to a proposed solution in coordination with Manager of Finance and Administration and School Director.
- Knowledge of university, state, federal policies and regulations (to include employment and immigration).
- Excellent customer service.
- Ability to build upon existing knowledge.
- Comfortable working with people, software, and numbers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
to communicate clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences orally
and in writing.
ability to analyze and problem-solve.
- Knowledge ofsophisticated Human Resources software systems such as PeopleSoftHCMor SAP.
- Knowledge and skill in human resources administration in the areas of recruitment, employment, employment visas, employee relations, and benefits.
degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level
of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience working in higher education in an academic unit- experience with University culture.
- HR certification.
- Experience working independently and within a team environment.
- Experience with University of Arizona and systems such as UAccess systems and UA Vitae.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Human Resources
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
For additional information, please contact Amanda Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.