Horticultural Worker - WVU Greenhouse
West Virginia University Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design is currently accepting applications for a temporary Horticultural Worker.
About the Opportunity
As a Horticultural Worker, you will work in the WVU Greenhouse - caring for plants, transplanting plants, and starting seeds, maintenance of greenhouse area, interacting with students and faculty working in Greenhouse on teaching and research projects and dealing with public if and when plant sales happening.
What you'll do:
- Routine maintenance and operation of the greenhouse facilities including cleaning, sweeping, and checking the functionality of the greenhouse rooms, growth chambers, coolers and freezers and maintaining beds and landscaping projects on a daily basis.
- Routine tasks related to crop production including sowing seed, transplanting, watering, and maintaining the plant collection. Watering duties will require working weekends and holidays to water plants (on a rotating basis).
- Integrated pest management including insect scouting, pesticide record keeping and helping with selection and introduction of biological controls.
- Record keeping related to repairs and routine maintenance.
- General office duties including organizing and helping with orders via marketplace associated with operation of the facility.
- Facilitating education activities at the greenhouse including tours and class projects.
- Assist with greenhouse web presence as needed
Pay Grade 11
Length of Assignment - 8.5 months working onsite
- Associates Degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- 0-6 months of greenhouse related experience.
- Previous basic web experience
- Ability to follow instruction given in written and/or oral form.
- Ability to follow safety regulations.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to maintain inventory reports.
- Ability to work weekends on a rotating schedule.
- Ability to work in field and greenhouse environment.
- Ability to work in partnership with other workers and work independently.
- Ability to work with faculty and students.
- Ability to work in an area when chemicals and/or pesticides have been used.
- Ability to use basic tools for caring for plants (watering system, trowels, etc.).
- Familiarity with controls in greenhouse to alert someone if not working properly.
- Ability to work in greenhouse during extreme temperatures and/or outside as needed.
Valid DL preferred in case needed to go to field site.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 12, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No