Dean, College of Health Professions
What's next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story-past, present and future-is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students' skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coverage
The Dean College of Health Professions reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, is a senior member of the faculty, and serves as the chief academic officer for doctoral, masters, and bachelor programs delivered in both online and on-ground formats for the South University system. The Dean ensures that existing and new program content and delivery are consistently of high quality, reviews curriculum and establishes/assesses student learning outcomes, facilitates the sharing of best practices among campus faculty and online, and aligns campuses and online with program imperatives and the needs of the discipline. He/she serves as a positive change agent and transformational leader for college growth and improvement. . Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Articulate and implement a vision/plan for strategic college and programmatic development/expansion in support of South University's growth and competitive position.
- Assure that faculty possess appropriate credentials, develop professionally, contribute to campus and college academic operations, and both share and use best practices.
- In partnership with campus academic leaders, develop robust conceptual frameworks, student learning outcomes, and direct and indirect measures to assess and improve the quality of all programs.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of innovative system-wide program initiatives.
- Lead annual reviews of curriculum and program effectiveness.
- Develop curriculum for new programs in a timely manner.
- Work productively with, and serve as an advisor, mentor and coach, to Associate Deans, Department Chairs, Program Directors, subject matter experts, and curriculum developers.
- Report as required on status of program quality and the effectiveness of the College, including the achievement of outcomes, student retention, curriculum currency and rigor, faculty performance and credentials, and adequacy of academic support services.
- Approve and endorse faculty and administrative appointments and set credentialing standards for faculty. Actively participate in performance review of the Associate/Assistant Deans, and Department Chairs with Campus Deans - Academic Affairs and Operations.
- Actively work to maintain professional accreditation of programs and the College.
- As needed, conduct on-site evaluations and monitor annual reviews of all faculty members within the department.
- Supervise system-wide curriculum changes for the college as deemed necessary and in collaboration with campuses of South University and Online.
- Develop curricular and policy revisions as requested by the Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs. Prepare the annual travel budget for the department and monitor monthly expenditures.
- Ensure that program directors conduct advisory committee meetings and engage the professional and business community as the "voice" and "face" of the College of Health Professions. Ensure that each program director and full-time faculty member is active in the community as well.
- Adhere to university policies as described in the South University Employee Handbook; Faculty Supplement to the Employee Handbook, Dean- College of Health Professions job description, or other separate guidelines.
- In concert with the Campus Deans - Academic Affairs and Operations, supervise program directors/chairs in academic matters.
- Play an integral role in the student recruitment process and program growth of all programs within the College of Health Professions.
- Serve the College and University on committees as needed or as requested by the Associate Vice-Chancellor-Academic Affairs.
- Demonstrate effective working relationships with relevant accrediting bodies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs.
- A minimum of 10 years of post-doctoral experience
- Demonstrated teaching experience at the College/University level
- Professional experience in a discipline within the College
- Evidence of exemplary management and leadership experience
- Earned Doctorate in a field relevant to the programmatic offerings of the College of Health Professions
- Online program experience (preferred)
- Other requirements specific to the discipline
- Experience with computerized administrative systems. Must be proficient with the use of standard office applications on personal computers.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret accreditation criteria, state agency regulations, and academic journals.
- Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from employees, students, regulatory agencies, or members of the academic or business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to faculty, academic and campus leaders, corporate leaders, and public groups.
The individual must be able to travel out of the local area with an occasional overnight stay to participate in a variety of conferences and meetings and monitor/access system campus activity. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to evaluate written information, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds. The vision requirements include ability to adjust focus and close vision.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive