Veterinary Technician (Day Shift) - AZ- Animal Health Institute
The Veterinary Technician will be responsible for all of the essentials related to wellness care in the Companion Animal Clinic, a busy general practice. This position reports to the Veterinary Technician Supervisor at the Animal Health Institute. Must have the ability to work flexible hours based on clinical support needs.This is a day shift position which requires flexibility to work between the hours of 7:00am and 6:30pm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in setting up surgical and treatment areas and restraining animals for procedures and treatments
- Admit patients to clinic and follow protocols, not applicable for overnight shift
- Create accurate hospitalization and treatment estimates
- Ensure correct charges are completed in EMR daily
- Assist with anesthesia administration and monitoring
- Assist with surgical procedures as needed
- Responsible for radiography, venipuncture, catheter placement and bandage changes.
- Monitor physical and medical conditions of hospitalized patients including pain assessment
- Administer medications and fluid therapy
- Assist with dentistry, not applicable for overnight shift
- Feed and exercise hospitalized animals as directed.
- Process laundry/linen as needed to assure adequate and neat supply at all times.
- Assist in the sterilization department as needed
- Assist veterinarians in running of routine lab samples.
- Recordkeeping - Adding appropriate patient notes into electronic medical record
- Patient advocate
- Assist in instructional support of students in conjunction with the faculty during discussions and labs
- Follow protocols in working with patients with infectious diseases
- Maintain equipment and inventory
- Other duties may be assigned
- Must treat all employees, students, and clients with a high level of respect and follow customer service guidelines and protocols.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must have the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner and must have regular, predictable, in-person attendance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position requires strict compliance with all policies and procedures.
- The individual must be able to develop positive rapport effectively.
- This position may require some early morning, evening andoccasional Saturday hours.
- Must be capable of working in an animal healthcare environment which typically involves sick and injured animals along with animal products and wastes including feces, urine, blood, vomit, and other body fluids.Must be willing and able to handle and/or transport deceased animals and animal parts as well as collect and transfer bio-hazardous waste.
- Must exhibit good customer service skills.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
- Must have regular, predictable, in-person attendance
- Other duties as assigned
- Know the range of services the practice provides and the species it serves.
- Be reasonably familiar with breeds and coat colors.
- Follow OSHA standards. Be able to find Safety Data Sheets quickly.
- Know and use standard medical and business abbreviations.
- Use proper medical terminology and spelling when speaking and writing.
- Be familiar with infectious diseases, including their prevention and steps to reduce or eliminate transmission. Know the most common zoonotic diseases (infections from animals to humans).
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or GED is required. Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in an animal hospital or veterinary clinic setting. CVT certification from the State of Arizona is preferred. At least 2 years of experience in a specialty or emergency setting is preferred for individuals who work the overnight or swing shift. This position requires working in a team environment with a high focus on customer service with the ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a fast paced environment. Detail oriented with the ability to promote a welcoming atmosphere is essential. The ability to speak Spanish will be considered an asset.
This position currently has no supervisory responsibilities.
The individual must have the ability to learn the StringSoft Veterinary Management system, and have basic proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Intermediate skills:Ability to read and interpret writtendocuments such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Basic skills:Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Basic skills:Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.Ability to compute drug dosages and ratios.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand or sitfor long periods.The employee must regularly use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.The employee is required to stand and walk.Have the physical strength and ability to stand for long periods, and be able to regularly lift pets and objects weighing up to 40 pounds
Animal allergies statement: No inhibiting allergies to animals, hay, or dust.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race; color; religion; creed; national origin or ancestry; ethnicity; sex (including pregnancy); gender (including gender expressions, gender identity; and sexual orientation); marital status; age; disability; citizenship; past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services; genetic information; or any other protected class, in accord withall federal, state and local laws, including 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a). Midwestern University complies with the Smoke-Free Arizona Act (A.R.S. 36-601.01) and the Smoke Free Illinois Act (410 ILCS 82/). Midwestern University complies with the Illinois Equal Pay Act of 2003 and Arizona Equal Pay Acts.
High School or better.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)