Department of Integrative Social Work Adjunct Faculty
Job Description:Adjunct Faculty, Department of Integrative Social Work
Saybrook University is seeking adjunct faculty members to join the Department of Integrative Social Work in the College of Integrative Medicine and Health Sciences. The individuals will serve as adjunct instructor and may engage in course development and dissertation committee service.
Under the direction of the Department Chair, in the Department of Integrative Social Work, the faculty member will provide instruction as assigned.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching online courses as assigned.
- Responsive and timely communication with department administration, faculty, and students.
- Present courses, workshops and/or course introductions at residential conferences (when assigned)
- Attend occasional meetings (Faculty, Program, College, University) and Faculty trainings which could include Canvas, IRB, student record system, etc.
- Mentoring Students
- Actively support the socialization of students into the Department of Integrative Social Work degree program and profession
- Instruction, Course Development and Syllabus Review/Updating
- Deliver high quality innovative campus and/or on-line courses that foster critical thinking
- Ensure rigorous academic standards and quality aligned with program goals
- Coordinate course offerings and catalog documentation
- Design dynamic courses including syllabi and canvas platform-based materials utilizing the latest developments and trends in classroom instruction and digital technology
- Adjunct faculty may occasionally be contracted for governance activities
- Maintain effective professional and community involvement and/or affiliations as ambassador for the university
All faculty members at Saybrook University are expected to be available and responsive to students. Faculty engagement expectations include:
- Faculty will make contact with students enrolled in their course within the first week of the new semester and before the residential or educational conference.
- Faculty will respond to emails or phone calls and acknowledge received assignments within two business days.
- For courses with weekly discussions, faculty will be in contact with students at least three times per week for online courses to provide substantive contributions and respond to student posts. This will include engagement across the duration of the weekly discussions.
- For individually mentored courses, faculty will schedule with each student regular online and off-line communication.
- For other course designs, faculty will demonstrate how they are engaging students in a consistent and meaningful way across the semester or term.
- Faculty will return student papers with feedback for course assignments submitted through Canvas within the following guidelines:
- 1 week for work less than 5 pages in length,
- 2 weeks for work up to 25 pages in length,
- 3 weeks for work 26-50 pages in length (and for final thesis/project),
- 4 weeks for work over 50 pages in length (applies to dissertation only).
- Must possess a doctorate in social work or related field from a regionally-accredited institution
- Relevant teaching experience at the masters or doctoral level.
- Must possess either an MSW or a doctorate in social work.
- Demonstrated scholarship, practice/clinical experience, and/or accomplishments in the field
- Commitment to multicultural and humanistic principles
- Experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations
- Some minimal travel may be required
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University and the Department of Integrative Social Work.
- Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experiences with on-line instruction is desirable).
- Able to offer on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within his/her areas of expertise.
- Creates a sense of unity and common purpose and manages change effectively
- Ability to build teams and effective working relationships
- Promotes interdisciplinary work within and beyond the Department
- Critical thinker
- Thinks strategically and works collaboratively
- Affectively honest and open, with a high level of personal integrity
- Communicates effectively
- Consults with colleagues at all levels
- Well organized and able to meet complex workload demands
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and multiculturalism in education and faculty employment.
Please note: For the protection of faculty, staff, students and all who enter our facilities, Saybrook University has made the decision to require COVID-19 vaccination for all employees, unless granted medical or religious exemption, as a condition of employment beginning January 31, 2022.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events. Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.