Public Relations Specialist-Norman J. Radow College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Kennesaw State University
Communications, Marketing, and Public Affairs
Job ID: 237966
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Provides strategic council and works collaboratively with dean(s) and department head(s) on media and public relations activities that enhance the reputation of college(s) and/or department(s). Works collaboratively with university marketing on projects (e.g. providing earned media support for campaigns, etc.). Responsible for writing for a variety of media, both print and electronic, which may include: news and feature stories for the Kennesaw State University Magazine and writing for internal and external communication platforms, press releases, stories for the web, and other projects as assigned. May work to pitch stories to the media and respond to requests for media experts.
Develops written content, including feature stories, news releases and media advisories, but may also include blog posts, social media content, marketing copy, talking points and other forms of communication to help promote the assigned college/departments and university
Proactively identifies and develops story ideas (student, faculty and alumni successes, college/university initiatives, research, etc.) by building relationships with colleagues from the various academic and administrative units
Leads media relations efforts for assigned college and/or departments
Provides strategic public relations counsel and serves as liaison between the assigned college(s) and central communications office
Assists in the development and enhancement of the annual communications strategic plan
Develops and maintains relationships with reporters, producers and other stakeholders
Works collaboratively with college and University partners
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides consistent message for targeting audiences for the Radow College of HSS
- Responsible for newsletters, e-communications, news and feature copy, and writing communication for internal and external communication platforms
- Responsible for compliance with strategic communication and marketing standards
- Provides collaboration with RCHSS Communication and Marketing team and others; supports the college communication and marketing plan
- Provides support for website and social media management, design, special events, and photography, as needed
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
Four (4) years of experience in Journalism, Public Relations or related field
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Preferred qualifications)
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Mass Communication, Public Relations or related field
- Portfolio samples of published writing from newsletters, newspapers, news releases, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft and Adobe Creative Campus products
- Some design and photography experience
- Experience in educational settings
Ability to work independently, make decisions and multi-task to balance multiple priorities
Ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and exhibit professional demeanor
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
Working knowledge of Associate Press Style
Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques
Strong writing ability
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite, cloud-based applications)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES*:
- Ability to work in a high-energy environment under pressure
- Deadline and detail oriented, a self-starter
- Good researcher to familiarize oneself with educational programs and initiatives
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national, origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=237966&PostingSeq=1