Director of Analytics
WFAA requires all individuals working out of WFAA offices or conducting in-person business to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. WFAA will consider requests for reasonable accommodation as required under applicable law.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the University of Wisconsin–Madison, is recruiting for a Director of Analytics. The Director of Analytics provides leadership for WFAA Analytics program and supervises Analytics team. Provides complex and high-quality data analysis in support of WFAA fundraising, marketing and engagement goals. Translates business objectives into analytics solutions. Deploys complex data mining, modeling, machine learning and statistical techniques. Summarizes key findings and insights to stakeholders to inform business strategy and optimize results. This position will be a combination of remote, in-office, and on-site work environments.
Who is WFAA?
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is a private, nonprofit corporation that encourages individuals and organizations to make gifts to the university and to connect with the UW. In 2014, the UW Foundation merged with the Wisconsin Alumni Association® to better serve a growing population of UW alumni and donors. We believe that private support grows out of good relationships between campus leaders, faculty and program staff who need support, and the alumni and friends who want to invest in UW–Madison. We provide important engagement opportunities to link UW–Madison alumni to each other and to their alma mater, building a strong community of Badgers.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
Data Analysis and Modeling
- Mine and analyze data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of development activities, marketing techniques and business strategies.
- Analyze and segment suspect pools for development, as well as target audiences for engagement and marketing, to maximize business results. Leverage statistical tools and techniques including data mining, predictive modeling, RFM scoring, geospatial analysis and multivariate regression analysis.
- Develop quantitative analyses and algorithms on the dynamics of donor behavior, using behavioral models and other statistical techniques.
- Develop A/B testing frameworks and test model quality.
- Design complex data analyses of WFAA initiatives including responses to marketing efforts, cultivation, and solicitation and stewardship activities.
- Deliver statistical trend analysis, including performance, forecasting and projection reports.
- Manage the gift capacity, likelihood, readiness and other modeling or rating scores.
- Collaborate with Research & Prospect Management and Development staff to understand and inform unit prospecting priorities and strategies.
- Collaborate with Annual Giving, Alumni Relations and Engagement staff to understand and inform marketing and audience segmentation priorities and strategies.
- Present analytical findings to various stakeholders, advising on how to use results to inform business strategy.
- Collaborate with Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence teams to understand data needs and priorities, identify opportunities for analytics services, and operationalize analytics tools into reports.
- Recruit highly talented and qualified staff for open positions.
- Oversee the orientation, training, mentoring and coaching, encouraging an appropriate level of independence and supporting professional growth.
- Oversee staff assignments, accountabilities, performance expectations and goals
- Provide ongoing feedback and recognition as well as periodic formal performance appraisals to staff as part of a comprehensive performance management system
- Collaborate with staff on their work, providing guidance, problem solving, insight, etc.
- Lead development, communication and support of WFAA Analytics strategy. Provide thought leadership on the Analytics program and capabilities.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to leverage Analytics best practices and tools to inform business problems and strategies.
- Collaborate with IT and Advancement Services leaders to ensure cross-functional issues, tasks or projects are coordinated and completed within a timely manner.
Team Participation and Professional Development
- Lead and participate in team meetings.
- Present information on analytics opportunities, share best practices and provide training for colleagues.
- Lead or participate in strategic planning and priority team projects.
- Participate in at least one professional development conference, continuing education course, or workshop per year.
- Share expertise with internal and external colleagues.
- Lead and participate in benchmarking with peer institutions.
- Stay current with industry trends.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in quantitative research-based discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, Quantitative Social Science) or equivalent professional work experience
- Demonstrated statistical research experience.
- 3+ years experience in a quantitative or analytics role in support of internal or external clients.
- Experience using large data sets to build predictive models (e.g., logistic regression, decision tree).
- Proficiency with analytics tools such as SAS, SPSS, SQL, and Tableau.
- Experience with constituent and/or donor management software, preferably Salesforce, Blackbaud CRM or Raiser’s Edge.
- Advanced degree.
- Experience working in non-profit fundraising environments.
- Understanding of financial and fundraising principles.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Intermediate level SAS or R skills and experience using Python or Perl in a business environment.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Expert ability to perform data modeling and apply machine learning and statistical techniques to solve business problems.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (advanceuw.org) is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.