Engineering Lab Technician
Kennesaw State University
Laboratory and Research
Engineering Lab Technician
Job ID: 238152
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Are you ready to join a higher education community leading in innovative teaching and learning? Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country and third-largest in the state of Georgia offering more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees to its nearly 43,000 students. Our university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. We are growing and searching for talented people to join our mission. Find your wings at KSU.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Provide hands-on technical services and practical application guidance to students and faculty in an undergraduate engineering research setting. Technician duties depend on the specialized field of study such as Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and/or Robotics Engineering. Support the instructional mission of the College by maintaining the mechanical aspects of the laboratories and specialized equipment in those laboratories.
1. Maintains and repairs engineering lab equipment and maintains associated records
2. Prepares engineering lab equipment for engineering lab courses and purchases parts and/or components for machines and/or specimens
3. Assists students and faculty with fabrication of components, lab projects, student projects, test specimens and research parts
4. Maintains inventory and contributes to best safety practices ensuring students receive proper training and follow safe practices in accordance with appropriate standards
5. Completes periodic training courses and maintains knowledge and skill with changing technology for fabrication, maintenance and assembly
6. Provides guidance regarding safe equipment operation and implementation of laboratory procedures
7. Provides support to the College with maintenance by fabricating and repairing university equipment
8. Provides support to the College by working 10-30% each week across multiple departments on college related tasks (ex. equipment set up)
9. Procures components and materials needed for fabrication, assembly, and/or repair of laboratory systems
10. Manages an inventory of spare parts and enforce practices of general laboratory organization and cleanliness
Associate's, technical, vocational or related degree and/or certificate from an accredited institution of higher education or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Certificate in an engineering technology field
Previous related industrial experience
Previous experience working with customers and/or in higher education
Two years (2) of related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
Extensive knowledge of appropriate safety standards
Knowledge of basic programming and equipment related to assigned area
Knowledge of engineering materials and proper specifications for components
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the department (ex. Microsoft Office suite, CAD/CAM software)
Strong attention to detail and follow-up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position will not travel
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=238152&PostingSeq=1