Ticket Assistant - Athletics
The department of Athletics at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Ticket Assistant.
About the Opportunity
This position is responsible for supporting ticket sales operations, goals and objectives by selling and distributing tickets to all athletic events; meeting customer needs; providing information; processing payment, and resolving problems.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year (or more depending on years of service)
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Generate revenue and service customers by transacting ticket sales by telephone, mail, and walk in service as well as at home athletic events.
- Responsible for tracking, submitting and reporting all complimentary and taxable tickets for all revenue sports.
- Create and maintain all football parking event online sales including control of inventory, sales, online updates, mailing and balancing year end reports.
- Create new customer accounts by recording account information or maintain existing customer records by updating account information.
- Maintain customer satisfaction by providing athletic ticket information; attract potential customers, and retain existing customers, by answering questions and/or providing related customer service. Advise customers by providing information about cost, seat location, delivery of tickets and payment.
- Resolve problems related to transactions and/or seating, such as seat locations, lost or misplaced tickets, and other customer complaints, by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
- Responsible for administering all ticket events for volleyball and wrestling. Serves as the primary contact for all volleyball and wrestling related ticket sales (internal and external).
- Contribute to sales effectiveness by identifying short-term and long- range issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing directives.
- Document sale by entering transaction into computerized ticket system. Collect revenue by receiving and processing payments, total purchases, process checks, cash, and credit cards. Maintain financial security by following internal accounting controls and established policy and procedures. Verify accounts by reconciling statements and transactions.
- Prepare transaction forms by preparing money, tickets, cash registers, and teller transaction forms for all events.
- Perform other job-related assignments as assigned by the Assistant AD/Ticket Operations and/or Director of Ticket Operations.
- Report directly to the Assistant AD/Ticket Operations; must also work closely with others to carry out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
Pay Grade: 15
- Associate degree required, bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in ticket operations is required; business and accounting experience is preferred; Experience with Paciolan software systems is preferred.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Strong working knowledge of NCAA and conference rules, regulations, policies and guidelines and the ability to apply those rules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ticket operations.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English complex information or instructions.
- Ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Ability to independently plan, organize work, and manage multiple tasks for extended periods of time.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. fans, donors, sponsors, University community.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to drive and travel via motor vehicle.
- Ability to maintain proper unit punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Demonstrated ability in telephone skills (multiple lines) and etiquette.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of cash handling procedures and demonstrated ability to handle multiple cash transactions.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Valid driver's license.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.