Postdoctoral Fellow - WVU Center for Gravitational Waves and Cosmology (ECAS)
The WVU Center for Gravitational Waves and Cosmology in the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences (ECAS) at West Virginia University, with the WVU Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow. The Postdoctoral Fellow will carry out a research program that is synergistic with current research activities in the Center, which includes theoretical and/or observational studies of compact objects, the interstellar medium, general relativity, gravitational waves, radio transients, and galaxy formation and evolution. The GWAC Postdoctoral Fellow will also contribute to Center outreach and education efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities are functional in nature, and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- 60% Carry out an independent program of research relating to compact objects, the interstellar medium, general relativity, gravitational waves, radio transients, and/or galaxy formation and evolution.
- 5% Mentorship of undergraduate and graduate students in research projects.
- 5% Attend research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current research findings.
- 5% Identify and assist with acquisition of funding from public, private, and governmental sources.
- 5% Assist with development of novel research proposals for sponsor submission.
- 5% Write proposals, papers, and abstracts to attract research funds.
- 5% Search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for research goals.
- 5% Write and present research/study status reports for review and use of Principal Investigator(s).
- 5% Prepare results of research findings for presentation to colleagues and sponsors; at professional/technical conferences; and/or, for publication in scientific journals, as directed.
- 10% Contribute to the Center's outreach and education activities.
- PhD in Astronomy, Physics or a related discipline
- At least three years (can be as part of graduate thesis research)
- Experience in astrophysics research related to the goals of the Center for Gravitational Waves and Cosmology
- Skills related to research relating to compact objects, the interstellar medium, general relativity, gravitational waves, radio transients, and/or galaxy formation and evolution
- Code development and data analysis skills
- Demonstrated skills in verbal and written communication
- Experience in science outreach and education
- Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, statement of research interests and plans (up to three pages), statement describing previous and planned efforts on diversity, equity, and inclusion (up to two pages), curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as part of the application process.
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 10, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes