Academic Advisor (Filling 3 Positions)
Classification Title: MnSCU Academic Professional 1
Working Title: Academic Advisor (Filling 3 Positions)
Position Type: Staff
Division: Century College
Department: Student Affairs
Unit: Student Resources/Supp Svcs
Location: White Bear Lake, MN
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Employment Condition: Unlimited
Work Shift: Days
Work Schedule/Hours/Days: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm*
Advisors work one (1) evening per week until 6:00pm and occasional evening hours for events
Salary Minimum: $20.91
Salary Maximum: $30.24
Salary Type: Hourly
Bargaining Unit/Plan: 214, MAPE
Job DescriptionPosition Purpose & Responsibilities:
The position serves as a member of a professional team providing comprehensive advising services for Century College students who are clarifying their academic interests, preparing for admission to majors, pursuing declared majors, and changing their academic goals. The academic advisor provides guidance and assistance with course registration, academic planning, and academic questions/concerns as well as resources and referrals to promote academic success for Century College students.
This position also:
- Develops expertise in assigned Century College Academic Pathway programs and manages a caseload of assigned advisees pursuing their programs.
- Provides proactive advising and case management to support retention of students identified as needing support through early alert process and/or predictive analytics.
- Participates in college-wide enrollment, retention, and student success initiatives such as new student orientation, readmissions, and suspension appeals.
- Works effectively with Student Affairs offices and academic departments to meet the goals and objectives of the office, division, and institution.
- Communicates with Century College faculty and staff, participates in program and event development and serves on college-wide committees.
- Assists with program evaluation and completes other assignments as directed.
Required QualificationsMinimum Qualifications: (expected to have to enter job)
- Bachelor's degree
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of college student development and various learning styles
- Ability to learn extensive college program, policy, and procedure information and explain to others
- Ability to work with a diverse population of students, staff and faculty
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Possess presentation skills to effectively promote and represent the college
- Personal computing/technology skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office software; experience with and comfort utilizing multiple types of technology to provide advising services.
Preferred QualificationsPreferred Qualifications:(desired but not expected to have to enter job)
- Master's degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education or related field
- Previous experience in academic advising
- Previous experience in a community college setting
- Previous experience with Minnesota State advising-related software such as ISRS, uAchieve and Starfish.
- Demonstrated commitment to student success and retention
Other RequirementsAdditional Requirements:
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
This position requires successful completion of employment references and a driver's license background check.
NOTICE: Century College regrets that we are unable to offer visa sponsorships or assistance with other immigrant statuses. An applicant must be eligible to work at Century College at the time of application.
AboutWelcome! If you are considering employment at Century College, you have made the right choice.
From the diversity of our campus, to the wealth of real-world experience in our faculty and staff, Century College is a great place to make a difference.
Century College is a community and technical college located in White Bear Lake, Minnesota, on a beautiful 170-acre campus just minutes from the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
As one of the largest two-year colleges in Minnesota, we serve over 21,000 credit and non-credit students every year. Century College offers a safe, friendly environment, and small class sizes, providing the supportive educational environment needed to help students achieve academic success.
NOTICE OF ANNUAL SECURITY REPORT AVAILABILITY:
Century College is committed to assisting all members of our community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report is available on the Century College Department of Public Safety website at https://www.century.edu/home/public-safety
If you would like to receive a paper copy of the Annual Security Report which contains this information, you can contact the Century College Department of Public Safety on East Campus room E1392 or by calling (651) 747-4000.
Link to Century College's Non-Discrimination Statement:
Benefits InfoGREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance-, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Posting Number: F078P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Close Date: 01/23/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Accept Applications: Yes
Posting Contact: Kim Claggett / email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementMinnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.