Electrical Trades Specialist I - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services at West Virginia University is seeking applications for anElectrical Trades Specialist I position.
About the Opportunity
As an Electrical Trades Specialist I, youwill perform both installation of new construction and general maintenance of existing facilities utilizing journeyman level electrical skills. They will also provide guidance to Maintenance Workers and unskilled personnel as assigned.
The Division of Facilities and Services encompasses seven units that are integral to the University's success. Each of our units employs talented and skilled workers whose jobs range from planning and managing construction of the institution's outstanding facilities to maintaining, protecting and improving the University's buildings and grounds. Facilities and Services takes care of every aspect of WVU so that its employees, students and guests are safe and satisfied on campus.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year, or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot 23kv and 5kv underground power distribution circuits. Pull high voltage cables through underground ducts and cable trays in steam tunnels. Splice and terminate high voltage cable using current state-of-the-art (3M) materials and methods.
- Install, repair, and inspect electrical distribution equipment and wiring both inside and outside buildings to verify capacities
- Design routing plans, and install and maintain new electrical conduit, tubing, wiremold, raceway, and associated accessories to accommodate electrical and telecommunications wiring. This duty requires pipe fitting ability.
- Install and maintain all control systems for motors, lights, heat, and air controls, participating with various crafts as required to properly troubleshoot and repair control systems.
- Install and maintain existing and new lighting systems for both interior and exterior of buildings, including street lights and parking lot lighting.
- Operate state vehicles to travel to University buildings for repairs and installations.
Pay Grade:13,WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salary
- Job requires a broad trade knowledge attained through technical education received from a formal apprenticeship or vocational training program of up to 18 months beyond high school in the electrical field.
- At least two (2) years of electrical experience
- Valid driver's license
- Valid WV state electrical license (Journeyman) preferred
- Physical demands include:
- Walking, carrying, standing, crawling, climbing and stooping daily
- Lifting materials (50-75 pounds) daily
- Climb heights over 10 feet daily
- Working in uncomfortable positions as needed
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 7, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes