IT Technician- PRT
The Transportation and Parking unit at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a IT Technician (PRT). The Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit System (PRT) is a totally automated public transportation system consisting of five passenger stations, automated vehicles, maintenance facilities, nine miles of dedicated guideway and a vast array of ancillary equipment. This position is responsible for the administration and management of the DCS and EDCS networks.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Assist in the maintenance and monitoring of the DCS and EDCS hardware and software, supporting preventative and corrective maintenance, and the installation and configuration of network equipment and software.
- Identify system inefficiencies through the observation of daily system operation and maintenance.
- Oversee the investigation, characterization, and analysis of persistent or intermittent software or hardware issues.
- Monitor equipment health and useful lifecycles.
- Develop a detailed recommended-spares list and replacement schedule for all network equipment.
- Configure/install/update hardware and software.
- Provide technical guidance to PRT maintenance staff in correcting wayside and onboard system failures.
- Troubleshoot, resolve, and advise PRT maintenance staff in the recovery of the PRT system after a failure.
- Provide recommendations on CBTC maintenance plans and procedures, providing ad hoc recommendations to improve CBTC maintenance as necessary.
- Extract logs and/or playback data when necessary to support remote analysis.
- Provide local technical support for fault identification and repair.
- Assist hardware or software vendors during site visits.
- Participate in the planning and monitoring of various maintenance logistical activities to encourage proper functioning of all maintenance activities as related to the PRT subsystems.
- Plan and complete work for required maintenance evolutions.
- Ensure maintenance activities are conducted in accordance with the applicable manuals and procedures. Raise Change Requests when necessary to update or correct these documents.
- Assist PRT staff with hardware, software, and network related difficulties. Installs hardware and software as needed.
- Participate in and/or lead meetings with vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in IT or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience".
- One (1) year technical experience in a computer-related customer support field.
- Must have strong troubleshooting and deductive reasoning skills.
- Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
- Ability to effectively organize and direct personnel during crisis or emergency situations.
- Strong organizational skills
- Must have ability to establish short-range and long-range activities.
- Must recognize both the formal and informal organizational and functional structures of all University departments.
- Must be able to relate to and work with all types of authority at various levels.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well, utilizing both written and oral instructions and to work with faculty, staff, students, and company vendors.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and learn new computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate methods in equipment repair and maintenance.
- Valid driver's license issued within the United States
- Requires mandatory (DOT) Drug Testing - Federal Requirement
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 7, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes